1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred Phelps' gang to protest outside kids' funeral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Earlier this week, 10 people -- including six young kids -- perished in a central Kentucky housefire.

Now, Fred Phelps and his followers believe this happened because God seeks retribution against Kentucky for trying to pass a law that would ban protests at funerals. Never one to miss an opportunity, these attention whores will be picketing outside the funeral.

http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/feb2007/20070207_tennessee-kentucky-deadly-fires.pdf

I want to ignore them, but I'm finding that very, very difficult. So, I guess they've accomplished their mission.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is repulsive. If one of those children was mine, I'd show up with a baseball bat and show Phelps the true definition of wrath.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I think the Kentucky State Police should take a coffee break in the middle of the protest.
    Say, 15, 20 minutes.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

By this stage of the game, Fred Phelps' Dance Party has cast God's hatred (without His approval, naturally) of pretty much every location on the face of God's green earth. I'd like to think they're more marginalized than the KKK by now. But they're a cult, they're going to do what they're going to do. Wish people would stop paying attention to them, though. Their engine runs on hatred but is fueled by publicity.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I went to one of their protests, not for work, but for myself. There were a LOT of pissed off rednecks and it did get violent at the end. That said, those motorcycle guys did a great job of drowning everything out and ensuring the funeral itself went off without a hitch.

The Phelps gang are the biggest bunch of cowards there is. They had scheduled a pair of protests a few days apart for two soldiers who were burried in the same town days apart, in different accidents. After some of them got beat up and honestly, barely made it out of their protest in tact, they decided not to come back.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Remember when Fred Phelps protested gays on Real World San Francisco back in like 1994? Yeah, this guy never misses a chance to die some random action into some law that he claims God would oppose.

First time I saw him, he protested a Nine Inch Nails concert that I went to in Topeka. Floored me. Nowadays, I'm immune to him. I just shake my head and move on most times, because I know he won't ever change.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

I would not be surprised in the least that some day we find out Freddie had a gay incident in his life.
    That has to be the reason he is so against them.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Thanks to the WBC's intention to picket a funeral for a former county sherrif in our area, I had to drive an hour and sit outside a church for 45 minutes 'in case they showed up.'

My managing editor and I both argued that giving these guys attention was exactly what they wanted, but my publisher vetoed us and sent me anyway.

They never showed and I felt like a douche for basically staking out a funeral attended by every law officer in the county...

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If this was your child's funeral, and you went up to Phelps and shot him, don't you think you could get off in court?

I really think you could.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not a chance, because thousands of others would have already shown the strength not to shoot him before you did. You simply have to be the better man. All he wants is the reaction, so ignore him.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know OZ. If I'm the lawyer, and you make that argument, I think I come back with, "And it was about damn time."

I'm not arguing that you'd have any solid basis for getting off. I'm talking about a straight jury nullification attempt.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Some people might have a special place in their heart for your actions, but the courts tend to be blind to that.

It's like yanking First Amendment rights to someone like, say, Fred Phelps because we don't agree with his views. You can't do that, because unpopular speech is still free speech. Likewise, murder is murder, and the courts likely wouldn't make you an exception to the rule and treat you as a hero because you murdered someone who might have a special seat waiting for him in hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted