1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred McGriff: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Palmeiro has ZERO shot at getting into Cooperstown. Bagwell has pretty damn good chance. I could see McGriff getting some momentum in one of his final years on the ballot, but he's a longshot at this point.

2. Mizzougrad96

I love a good HOF debate. The problem is, there aren't too many guys who merit a good debate. It's either, they're a lock, it's too soon, no way in hell or, they're lumped in the PED group. I was almost disappointed when so many agreed that Raines should be in. :D

McGriff doesn't fall into any of those categories. I think if he had a MVP season or even one season that people really remembered him being one of the best players in the league he'd have a better case. Hell, the guy only made a handful of all-star games.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Moddy made the point if seven more home runs would make a difference? I don't think so either, but there is something weird about those kinds of round numbers that make people go crazy.

The trio of Tommy John, Don Sutton and Kim Kaat is an example. Sutton went into the Hall on his fifth try. John and Kaat never got above 32 percent. Was there that much of a difference besides the fact that Sutton inched over 300 wins later in his career, and John and Kaat couldn't bang out a few more?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great quote in sports history - paraphrased here because my memory is old - when he was traded to Atlanta. And first game gets ppd because of a press box fire.

"It wasn't me, even though I know I'm the most likely suspect," Sid Bream said.

For that, perhaps, Bream should be in the Hall of Fame.

5. Moderator1

Her husband Jim was one HELL of a pitcher, too!

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The New York Times had a column the other day advocating Tommy John for the HOF.

7. Moderator1

We're not going to get another thread are we?!?

He does have a surgery named after him, so there's that

8. Mizzougrad96

I'd vote for Dale Murphy before I voted for McGriff.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

SI had a column for someone recently, too, kind of like Beltran last year. I think it might have been Adrian Beltre.

10. Mizzougrad96

The problem is 500 home runs just isn't what it used to be. I think 3,000 hits or 300 wins makes you a lock (PED use or gambling, the obvious exceptions...).

I would argue that Dale Murphy getting to 400 would have increased his chances of getting in a lot more than McGriff getting to 500.

11. Mizzougrad96

I think it was Beltran.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think at some point Rafael gets in.

Draft saved Draft deleted