1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred McGriff: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, Dick, what's your case for Fred? Lay it all out. I'm interested in reading it.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let me put it this way. McGriff should not get in before Rafael Palmeiro.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How do you know McGriff was clean? That's the big problem with voters putting so much weight into who they think used PEDs and who they think did not. Far too often, they are going on information that is incomplete at best.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I get it, I just like to rag you about Hall threads because, you know, you take it so well!

I don't know how to quantify all that, I just don't. I was asked about it on a radio show today and I said I didn't know what to believe.

That said, I don't think he was juicing. Would seven more HRs have made a difference in some people's minds? Perhaps. Not to me.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't. That's a fair point. But I'm just the guy who is ignorant about baseball. So give that whatever weight it deserves.

6. Dick Whitman

I'd take it better if I didn't know that you had the power to lock them - and have exercised it.

7. Moderator1

Is this one locked? Or have I tried to contribute to the discussion? Or were you just looking for a way to give me shit?

8. Dick Whitman

No, no. Not at all. I was just explaining why I vehemently stand up for a Hall of Fame thread - so that you don't think it's a farce and lock it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't see it happening...

My argument for him would be, if McGriff put those numbers up without juicing, they seem a lot more impressive than they do now, when compared to the Palmeiros and the Sosas and who put up crazy numbers.

I think most people think Bagwell will eventually get in. McGriff has more HR and more RBI, but Bagwell has a MVP and has a few "great" seasons, while McGriff has more "very, very good" seasons.

The problem is, I think most people think Bagwell juiced and I don't think people think that about McGriff.

10. Moderator1

We are so past that point - it is called moving on. There was a stretch when we had way too many of these things. Ages ago. Hasn't been a problem in a while.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

If either Bagwell or McGriff gets in before Palmiero I'll...

12. Dick Whitman

Cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted