1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fred Brown: "I do not support the (Georgetown) program"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Mike Wise has an eye-opening column in today's Washington Post with former Georgetown guard Fred Brown, who threw the pass to North Carolina's James Worthy in the 1982 NCAA final. He doesn't support the program and says that John Thompson (the older former coach) only supports the former players who have fat NBA contracts.

<a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/24/AR2007032401177.html">
    Here's the link to the column. He says that he only started wearing his 1985 championship ring again because his boss thought it would be good for business.</a>

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: Fred Brown: "I do not support the (Georgetown) program

That was crazy. I thought Wise did a great job on the piece, but it makes Fred Brown seem pretty classless, no matter how JT treated him.

3. The Hug didn't count.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was a really good job by Wise. And yes, Brown comes off horribly.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Interesting timing.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What specifically did he need from Thompson that Thompson didn't deliver?
    What is the obligation of a coach once a player leaves the program?
    I'm kind of like Thompson here. Not sure I understand.
    That's not a knock on the column. I agree with those who say it makes Brown look bad.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't know what the reality is. But if what Brown says is true, doesn't this reflect worse on Thompson than Brown? It will be interesting to see if Thompson responds to this publicly.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not seeing a lack of class with what Brown said, unless the things he said were untrue. Bitterness, sure, but not a lack of class. Thompson has been thrust forward as this father figure to his players, and if these things are true, then perhaps it's an undeserved reputation.

9. Mike Wise continues to do the damn thing. Nice work.

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Fred Brown showed up at Georgetown's 100-year anniversary celebration at the Verizon Center earlier in the season. Seemed like he was supporting the program then.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mike Wise has become the best columnist the Post has, no question in my mind. The guy has really really flourished and comed up with great insights and story lines and hasn't mailed it in yet once.

12. Wise is a great columnist and an even better person. He gave me a lot of great advice when I was starting out.

Draft saved Draft deleted