1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Freaks and Geeks - late to the party

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Did you seriously just call Busy Phillips "chubby?" My God.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I liked it when Daniel and Sam bonded while arguing over the NFL and MLB. :D :D :D

I loved that last ep, too, and how easily Daniel fit in with the D&D crowd.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The phys ed teacher is Biff from Back to the Future.

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Favorite moment: Nick drums along to "Spirit of the Radio"

Runner up: Lady L

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I like when Nick sings "Jesus is Just Alright" with Millie.

Speaking of Millie...check out Sarah Hagan now:

[​IMG]

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Mole-y... Yes.

Chubby? No.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i was just going to jump on him for that. ditto. OMFG!!!

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

What was the line the singer uses when Nick fails his drum audition? Something horribly condescending like "Good luck with your drum kit" or something. Cruel but true.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Didn't one of them say something like maybe they would be able to handle 15 drums at a time someday?

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

This actually happened to me when I was an idiot freshman or sophomore, and it was with a Styx song too.

The DJ at the dance, for some reason, decided to play "AD 1928," which is the first song on Paradise Theater but starts off just like "The Best of Times." Well, the song started and this girl asked me to dance. I'm sure it took every nerve she had to ask, and I didn't really want to (like I said, I'm an idiot ... I mean, hello?). So the song starts, and it's slow and we slow dance a little. But then the song speeds up and kicks into "Rockin the Paradise." So I immediately break off the slow dance and start fast dancing like a fool, and she kind of slips away and goes back with her friends. Kind of dickish on my part, I know.

So 15, 20 years later, I'm watching "Freaks and Geeks," and watch the scene play out and it all comes rushing back to me. I felt bad for the kid on the show, I felt bad for the girl at the dance with me. I felt bad for every dorky kid out there who wanted to dance with the girl or guy and couldn't or didn't know how or didn't know how to react in that horrible adolescent time. The scene punched me in the gut.

Beautiful.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Lady L - fantastic! And Busy Phillips is in no way chubby. Bill eating grilled cheese and guffawing while watching Gary Shandling on Dinah Shore alternately makes me laugh/breaks my heart.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Have watched six of the episodes. So far so good.

Busy Phillips is my favourite character and to me, the best actor in the show.

My least favourite is Joe Flaherty as the father. To my mind, not a very believable character. However, in the Halloween episode, nice homage to SCTV with the Dracula cape.

Am enjoying it a lot but to me, the greatest TV show about high school life is still "My So-Called Life" with Clare Danes.

Draft saved Draft deleted