1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

freaked out over mri

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

MRI was fine. PetScan gave me problems. It was back in my days of participating in scientific studies for cash. They inject something into you, get put into the enclosed tube for four hours. Pull you out, give you lunch, put you back in for four hours. Fortunately, they set something up where they'd put a mirror above your face, and play DVDs behind you that were projected. Watched Ocean's 11, Fugitive, and one called, I think, The Beats, about Burroughs killing someone.

I was fine during it as I don't have claustrophobia, but when they sat me up I nearly passed out so they gave me some type of sugar injection. I'm not sure the whole thing was worth 300 bucks.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I'm not quite at your level of club membership, but I'm big enough that it's very, very tight in there. Most of my MRIs have been for my knees, which is fine, but I had a headfirst one recently and it was enough to induce serious panic. I don't even consider myself claustrophobic, but that would break anyone.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You'll be fine. It's not that bad. The noises are worse than being in the small space.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Two MRIs, no issues with claustrophobia.

One on head, not fully inserted into chamber.
    One on knee, not fully inserted into chamber.

You should be fine.

Oh, and the one on my knee? They told me the machine is really loud. I fell asleep. I found the hum strangely soothing. Freaked the nurses out but whatever.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

I SURVIVED

wouldn't have made it without the valium and lortab.

6. I had an MRI years ago (not open) ... it wasn't the space that bothered me, but rather the noise and not being able to move at all.

Then not long after, my brother had one and got to watch a movie during it. Pissed me off.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

It was mostly the noises that bugged me when I got an MRI on my knee some years ago. If it was your knee that you were getting examined, then you should be lucky your entire body wasn't going in. I couldn't imagine what it would be like if I was going in head first.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Nice. Well done.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or the third eye and third arm.

Draft saved Draft deleted