1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frazz blasts the sports section

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.comics.com/comics/frazz/archive/frazz-20061204.html

2. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Why I'm bothering, I don't really know.

But, people are interested in learning about the triumph and folly of sports teams. Restaurants are purely for the sake of consumption. If people want to eat, they go to the restaurant. If they want to find out what happened in the game, they have to get it from a third party.

Again, what the hell am I doing on this thread?

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

My mind wanders elsewhere.

Namely, why in hell hasn't Bill Watterson sued whomever is drawing that comic?

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Kaylee,

That was my first thought. The kid is dead-ringer for Calvin.

5. busuncle

busuncle Member

It's a fair question.

Ultimately, I don't think you have to construct a complex argument for sports coverage. It exists because there is a market for it. If people weren't interested in it, it would cease to exist. If people were really into restaurants, maybe there would be a full section devoted to restaurants each day.

I do think sections can sometimes morph into a "civic booster" role by doing excessive coverage of local charity marathons, regattas, bowls or obscure amateur tournaments. But that's not unique to the sports department -- news side does that, too.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why isn't Dye'p here blasting the design of that front page?!

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Restaurants get coverage, like when someone finds a finger in her chili.

8. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I know. I was waiting for that final panel to be him pissing on a sports section.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Or humbly praying to a special restaurants tab.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Businesses get coverage all the time -- when they do something newsworthy. Trust me, I got calls all the time from newspaper and TV reporters asking me about local businesses.

Too simplistic an argument for the cartoonist.

BTW -- Bill Watterson never copyrighted Calvin, IIRC. That's why you see so many 'Calvin Pissing' bumper stickers adorning white trash autos.

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

No, Watterson holds the trademark and he/the syndicate have sent cease-and-desist letters to several makers. The problem is that they are so widespread and created by so many different people that it is impossible to shut them down.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

OK -- Thought I heard somewhere that Watterson didn't believe in copyrighting or something like that, and that opened the door to the forgeries.

Your post is lot more plausible.

Draft saved Draft deleted