1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 4, 2007.

1. chester

chester Member

Probably both conferences. In 2003, Ohio State played both Washington and N.C. State. If I recall, Washington was ranked something like ninth in the country entering the game - with Cody Pickett and Reggie Williams - and N.C. State was also somewhat highly-regarded (not like a USC, but not like an Akron either) with Rivers and McClendon and Cochery.

In the end, it probably has everything to do with getting as many home games without having too many return trip to schedule down the road.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

I'll take that bet.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

So why question OSU and not question the SEC schools who won't play a non-conference game with a decent team above the Mason-Dixon Line.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Did you seriously just use the phrase "traditional power Washington?"

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So its more that the Big Ten and SEC, both at opposite ends of the Sagarin conference rankings this season, would rather schedule from everyone else rather than each other?

And Starman, I'd hold off on saying that right now. Penn State beat Tennessee and Wisconsin beat Arkansas last season with everyone saying the Big Ten was doomed.

While Ohio State and Michigan got their doors blown off, some of the conference's teams did the Big Ten proud.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yes, but every Pac-10 team but one got to play Stanford.

7. chester

chester Member

Another thing in regards to OSU playing in-state MAC schools: About 10 years ago, the AD (Geiger, I think) decided that the school, instead of bringing in out-of-state mid-majors to fill up the schedule, decided that it would be better for all of the Ohio colleges if that big payday at least went to in-state schools. That's why the Buckeyes have scheduled at least one MAC school each year at the Horseshoe.

As for Youngstown State, if anybody by Senator Sweater Vest was coaching at OSU, that game would NEVER happen. They made a big deal around here when that game was played about how it was the first 1-AA (or FCS) team to play Ohio State since like 1930 or something.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The other thing I'd point out is Auburn is another which has traditionally tried to schedule well, see the Southern California home-and-home, or the Kansas State series as well. They may have seen USF as a team on the rise, which they certainly were, when they scheduled them.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

GB-Hack is right about Oklahoma's scheduling. Just looked at Big 12 - I'll be posting 30-45 minutes - and Oklahoma is the ONLY Big 12 team that has schedule no I-AA teams since 2002, while scheduling nine BCS teams. Texas scheduled just one I-AA team in that time, but just 5 BCS teams. ... Like I said, more coming in a bit.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Me too.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

And that worked out wonderfully well for USC and Cal.

12. You must not be familiar with Joe Tiller's bowl record.

Draft saved Draft deleted