1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 4, 2007.

1. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Fact is, SEC has more I-AA opponents every year and a softer overall nonconference schedule every year than people realize. And that pisses me off when SEC cheerleaders pipe about how superior the conference is and they beat up on each other and how the 4th or 5th best SEC team would beat the top team in another BCS conference. Sure, it's the best conference and they beat up on each other, but fucking go out and schedule tougher out-of-conference games if you're that much better than any other team in another conference. In my opinion, the PAC-10 has been the best conference the past few years with their stricter nonconference scheduling.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Don't you know, Igot, they can't schedule tough non-conference games because they have to survive the "minefield" and "death march" that is the almighty, all-powerfull, toughest conference in the history of all sports.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

I know, spirited. Yet when B12 and Big Ten teams say the same thing, everyone scoffs - aw, you're conference isn't as good as ours - even though every Big Ten teams usually beats its patsies, too. I think this year and/or last every year, every Big Ten team started like 2-0 or 2-1, except UM this year. I forget what the stat was.

Slightly more indepth look at nonconference patsies coming ...

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

LSU-Virginia Tech, Auburn-South Florida, Auburn-Kansas State, Tennessee-Cal, Alabama-Florida State, Georgia-Oklahoma State, Florida-Florida State, Mississippi State-West Virginia, South Carolina-Clemson, Ole Miss-Missouri, Georgia-Troy.

People look at some teams on SEC schedules like Troy and think automatic win. At least I'm guessing Oklahoma State did before they lost to them this season.

And of course, as was noted earlier, Big Ten teams tend not to schedule SEC teams because of bowl tie-in's or something. I'd be curious to find out the last time there was a Big Ten-SEC matchup in the regular season.

Florida gets, Hawaii, Miami and Florida State next season.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And last I checked Big 10 favorite non-conf patsies Central Michigan and Ball State were also bowl bound, so what's your point?

You only mention Mich/Oregon from the Big 10? Well, I might point out that Illinois played Mizzou (lost in 40-34 thriller) in what turned out to be 2d only to LSU/Va Tech as biggest non-conf game of this entire college season in terms of both teams' final ranking, we just didn't know how big that game was at the time.

And four different Big 10 Teams (Purdue, MSU, PSU, and Mich) scheduled traditional power Notre Dame for this season at a time when they had no reason to know ND would have its worst team ever this year. Just as OSU had no way of knowing traditional power Washington would be this bad when they scheduled them. How is that any different than you giving USC and Oklahoma credit for scheduling traditional powers Nebraska and Miami when, quite frankly, both teams really sucked this season?

And giving Auburn credit for scheduling South Fla is complete bullshit--the tigers thought that would an easy home win over a cupcake when they scheduled it -- it was only to their shock and dismay that the Bulls turned out to be good this year.

And, based on what was known at the time of scheduling, I fail to see how scheduling teams like Cincinnatti, Okla State, or TCU is all that much different than Wisconsin scheduling Washington State, MSU scheduling Pittsburgh, or Iowa and UI scheduling Syracuse.

Despite what you want to think, there isn't really much difference between the way any of the BCS conferences schedule their non-conference games. They all seem to have figured out and follow the same general formula since the BCS went into effect. Schedule one or possibly two legitimate games against other BCS conference teams, fill out the rest with 2 or 3 home games against patsies.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

You mentioned Michigan playing Oregon, so I'll continue. Illinois played Missouri; Ohio State played Washington; Wisconsin played Washington State; Iowa plays Iowa State; Michigan State played Pitt. Granted, not all of them are BCS powers, but they're from BCS conferences, and were scheduled years ago.

What people forget is that in most years, playing Notre Dame would be considered a tough game. This year, Notre Dame was horrible, but last year they went to the Sugar Bowl.

The point is that not a single BCS conference team schedules a tough non-conference schedule, save for one game every four or five years. They're all more interested in playing their 8 conference games and four cupcakes at home. That's not exclusive to the Big Ten.

Of course, when you've already made up your mind, all the discussion in the world won't change it.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I understand where you're coming from, but look at the names that are being scheduled. The rest of the country schedules teams that have been shown to be good for the last 10-15 years.

You're going to compare Pitt and Syracuse to California, Florida State or West Virginia?

Look in years past, when you had Auburn and Southern Cal playing a home-and-home. You can compare Ohio State and Texas when they matched up, but why doesn't the Big Ten go after more matchups like that?

One of the team that makes the best efforts when it comes to scheduling is Oklahoma, but they are one of the exceptions. In the past five seasons, the Sooners have had Oregon, Miami, Washington, UCLA, TCU and Alabama on their schedule.

On the other hand, Ohio State has had Washington, Texas, North Carolina State and Cincinnati.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, a North Carolina State team that was ranked 5th in the country, led by Philip Rivers, when they played.

9. chester

chester Member

Actually, this has been a rare year where Ohio State hasn't played a marquee non-conference game. Last year wrapped up a home-and-home with Texas. Next year starts a home-and-home with USC. After that series is up, the Buckeyes have a home-and-home with Miami (Fla.), and after that, a home and home with Virginia Tech. If I'm not mistaken, I think there was also talk of playing Oklahoma after the Va. Tech series is up.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'm pointing out the teams they played, and that's why I included N.C. State in the list.

My point is Oklahoma tries to schedule far more quality teams for its non-conference schedule than the average national power.

And that's a great effort by the Buckeyes, but why are there no SEC schools listed in the prospective list there? Is it the fault of both conferences, or what's going on?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Takes two to tango.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

Purdue will destroy Central Michigan in the Murder City Bowl, as they did back in September.

Other than that, the Big Ten will get rolled right off the field in the bowls. There may not be another game within 10 points.

Draft saved Draft deleted