1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If playing nobody will get you to the national championship game, I wouldn't change a thing. You can prove how strong your conference is in the bowls.

But nice work nonetheless, poin.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

Hey, Ball State is a bowl team! Doesn't that count for something?

Also, you can't argue the compelling Purdue-Central Michigan rematch in the Motor City Bowl. This rivalry is the equal to Pats-Colts, as far as I'm concerned.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or at least Colts-Lions, anyway ...

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: FRAUDS! A closer look: Here's a complete list of Big 10 football wins this y

The poll on the other thread has Ohio State receiving more votes than any other team in the country to play in the National Championship Game. Why?

They didn't beat anybody.

The teams they beat didn't beat anybody.

So exactly, why do they receive more votes than any other team to play in the National Championship game? If beating up on complete nobodies is the reason they deserve to play in the National Championship game, they didn't even do it as well as Hawaii, considering Ohio State lost in their 12 game season of patty-cake. Hawaii didn't.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

In the sake of fairness, who did the ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12 and Pac-10 beat in non-conference games?

Not being a smartass, just curious.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Honestly, Virginia probably has the ACC's best non-conference win, beating nine-win Connecticut.

At least Virginia Tech played LSU and predictably got thumped. Not many other good wins for the ACC off the top of my head.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Florida State beat Bama?

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean the Pac 10 in which UCLA got its ass kicked at home by Notre Dame after Purdue, Mich. St., Penn St. and Mich had each destroyed the Irish?

This list has little meaning unless it's put in a comparative context showing how it differs from other conferences. I'm sure the Pac 10 and SEC do have a more impressive list of wins because they were stronger this year, but I'm guessing the difference isn't nearly as great as most here think. Those conferences had some pretty embarrassing non-conference games themselves.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What you mean to say is that the BCS is a fraud, not the Big Ten. Big Ten did exactly what it needed to do to get into the BCS games. Nothing fraudulent about that.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Big Ten doesn't have any wins over SEC teams because, if memory serves, THEY DIDN'T PLAY ANY OF THEM!

When I see the SEC teams willing to start scheduling Big Ten teams for home-and-home's, and vice versa, instead of both conferences feasting on MAC and Sun Belt-level competition for its nonconference schedules, then talk to me about quality nonconference wins.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Everybody kept loosing, then we came full circle.
    For my money, it should be Oklahoma vs. Ohio State in the big game.
    Shame that Georgia, which had the good fortune of being ranked higher, later, was not allowed to perhaps jump over LSU in the BCS bowl and title-game scenario.
    Shows how flawed the various polls are.

And Missouri was outrightly screwed over, as Illinois made the A-level.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What TSP said. If I'm an AD or conference commissioner, I'm not telling my teams to change a thing. Wins are wins in this format, and no one gets brownie points for "good" losses.

Draft saved Draft deleted