1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fraternal Organizations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shoeless Joe, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I joined Elks lodge when I was still with the newspaper.
    I don't believe in god, but I lied on the application.

I didn't join Rotary until after I left the newspaper.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The Three Stooges are out in the wild, trying to live off the land:

Moe, speaking to Larry: "Now you go out and get a us a Moose and a few Meeses. I'll run down an Elk."
    Curley: "I'll try to find the Knights of Columbus."

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My dad spends a lot of time drinking with his Korean war buddies at his local VFW and American Legion halls. Seems harmless enough.

4. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My brother (who has posted on this site in the past) is a Mason. He's in his early 40s. The way he describes it sounds pretty appealing -- it's just hard to find time with a full-time teaching job, a busy writing gig on the side, two young kids and a wife that also works full time (though he has similar pressures).

I have some long-dead relatives that were Masons in the South back in the day. And my grandfather was pretty active in his B'nai B'rith lodge (a fraternal Jewish organization) -- but I think those have long gone by the wayside.

As for as the South, I'd imagine the young black guys trying to get connected are in Prince Hall lodges. Those are the traditionally black Masonic organizations. I'm not sure how integrated the historically white ones are.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'd really, really like to be a Mason, just for the historical connection. At a local event a few years ago, I signed a little info card but got no follow-up. Does that mean the rather innocuous information provided disqualified me, or (more likely) that it simply got lost in the shuffle?

Re: the Elks ... my former department chair is an Elk and wanted me to join. I laughed at the "Do you believe in God" query, even though, for the record, I do. I just never got around to submitting the application. Nevertheless, I always wanted to be there late some night when they gathered round for the 11 p.m. "chant". It goes like this:

That great heart of Elkdom swellin' and throbbin' just kills me. You know some buncha drunks came up with that some night a long time ago, and yet still it survives.

6. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Thanks to all those who have replied.

A lot of good points are made, especially the part about it being difficult to be engaged in the community when you have work and children. The point about the government welfare state is valid, too. Many organizations which were formed in the late 1800s were the "Protective Order of This" or the "Benevolent League of That." Traditionally, one of the biggest charities for Masonic Lodges was the Widows and Orphans Fund which set up a means to look after wives and children when a member died.

The Bowling Alone comparison was a good one. That book was relative when it was written, which was unfortunately almost 20 years ago. Things have to be worse now. This site is probably a good example. How many of us interact more with people on here than we do the folks down the street?

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can't speak for what happened in your particular situation or what would have been asked that could disqualify you. The number one question that will be asked of anyone joining a Masonic Lodges is: "Do you believe in the existence of a Supreme Being?" If you answered yes to that, I'd say it got lost in the shuffle. Do a search for the Grand Lodge of your particular state. They should have a link to get you in touch with the secretary of a local lodge for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted