1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franklin out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. OK. Thanks.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm old enough to remember when Franklin and Jon Sundvold did the Big 8/Big12 games on Monday nights. The days of Orr, Tubbs, Stewart, Kruger, Larry Brown, and good ol' Roy.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...you forget to mention TigerVols on press row for many of those games. Ahh, the good ol' days.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

With the Phillips 66 Big 8 Tournament from Kemper. A damn good batch of coaches then... Tubbs, Brown, Orr, Kruger, Stewart, Danny Nee. Oh, wait, not Danny Nee.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good fire.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Mike Tirico doesn't see what the big deal is.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'd love to be like that in production meetings...

Bold and boisterous. And now out of a gig.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's sort of sad when one offhand comment is given more weight than all the positive things accomplished over a 20-year period.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You're clearly high, aren't you?

10. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I'm going to guess it was more than one. This is just the one (or, technically, the second) that became public.

And the one that was so absolutely, unequivocally and completely disrespectful, unprofessional and uncalled for.

I'm sure if a colleague called you an asshole (not in a joking manner), you would not laugh it off as an "offhand comment."

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That's quite a "My College/Media Glory Days" kick you've been on lately.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Franklin was the Saturday Night SEC guy until the Holly Rowe thing. Seemed like he'd worked his way back into ESPN's good graces after a few years doing afternoon ESPN2 and ABC regional games.

He was in the booth when ESPN went behind the scenes on an early season Saturday night game around five years ago airing it live on ESPN2 while covering the game on ESPN. That was good TV.
    I'm pissed at Franklin. I enjoyed his broadcasts, but he's just good enough to be that kind of a jerk. I figure he'll land at Fox Sports Net.

Draft saved Draft deleted