1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franklin County, Ala. Again!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by chazp, Jul 19, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

This was just posted today. If I recall right it was open back in March or April and Kim West took it. She must be leaving already. It's a Boone newspaper, so 18 cents a mile. This area does have good prep sports to cover, especially football.

The Franklin County Times, an award-winning tri-weekly newspaper in beautiful North Alabama, is seeking a sports editor. The ideal candidate will have some experience in a newsroom environment, including editing and layout/design, story assignment and development and photography experience. However we are willing to invest time and training into the right person who is willing to learn. Opportunity for advancement within the company are limitless. The Franklin County Times offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package. Franklin County is located in Northwest Alabama, about 30 minutes from Florence, Muscle Shoals and the Tennessee River. Interested and qualified individuals should contact Jason Cannon at 1-256-332-1881. Resumes may be e-mailed to jason.cannon@franklincountytimes.com or mailed to P.O. Box 1088, Russellville, Al 35653.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

don't think there's any truth to this one. Kim West is still there, doing sports and news.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

It was posted Thursday as a new opening on the Alabama Press Association web site.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I think the APA website is a little behind the times.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

The APA web site only had two sports related openings before Thursday, then this appeared making it three. It therefore looks to be a new opening.

7. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Chazp -- trust me on this one -- kim is still there and doesn't have any plans to leave in the near future.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh.. buh... buh... LOL

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Chazp, what's your problem with BNI?

You had a buddy who didn't get promoted? Is that right?

10. chazp

chazp Active Member

I don't have a problem with them, expect they don't pay worth a crap and it's a sinking ship (they've gone from 34 papers to 27 in the past four years) and I don't mind pointing that out to others. From what I hear, the Franklin County job is actually one of the better Boone jobs out there.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

They don't pay worth a crap? As opposed to all the other newspaper companies out there that do?

And downsizing isn't always a bad thing. Every company in the newspaper industry is struggling right now. Small, community-oriented companies are no different.

12. chazp

chazp Active Member

I have friends at three different Boone papers. They won't leave for one reason are another, but they tell me the crap they deal with a their papers and I just think it's fair to let others know about these things before they take a Boone job what's going on. Also, as far as low pay, I'll never heard of another company that pays less mileage than them.

Draft saved Draft deleted