1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Gore HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 29, 2017.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He's football's Craig Biggio. Never someone that struck you as a HOFer, but he stuck around forever and put up all-time numbers so he's gonna get in.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's 34th all-time in rush yards per game (71.4/game with a minimum 750 rushing attempts). The definition of a compiler.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Pretty good comparison, but for several seasons it was Alomar and Biggio as the best 2B in baseball. Was there more than one season where Gore was the 2nd best RB in the NFL?

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Definitely not on Gore, but was Biggio consistently the 2nd-best 2B in baseball at his peak? Some of his peers, in addition to Alomar, were Utley (at the end of Biggio's career), Sandberg (at the end of Sandberg's career), Kent and Knoblauch, all of whom were terrific for periods of time. Biggio was just there to get 3,000 hits by the time Kinsler & Pedroia arrived. If you want to get freaky, you can throw Tony Philips, who played all over the place but is listed as a 2B at JAWS and had a 109 OPS+, just a shade lower than Biggio (112).

If I had a football HOF vote, I'd probably give it to Gore for the same reason I would have voted for Biggio: Durability that yielded big round numbers. But I wouldn't argue too vociferously with anyone who felt differently.

5. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

Biggio had a couple years (1997-98) where he was the best second baseman in baseball. Alomar had a couple down years, Knoblauch's best years were behind him, and Kent's best years were still to come.

6. cjericho

I always want to get freaky.

Didn't look up the years, was going off memory. Way back, had a good debate with a former co-worker over Almomar vs Biggio. I always thought Alomar was a notch above because of his defense. Don't think Biggio ever had his footspeed, quickness and smoothness. Knoblauch had some big seasons, but when you look at careers, especially considering the years he could barely throw the ball to 1B, Biggio definitely had a better career. Just think that Biggio was closer to the best at his position than Gore. Don't think Gore is a HOF, but if he gets in don't think it's a travesty. The game has changed so much that it's hard to see any RBs now being dominant, or even above average, for more than 5 or 6 seasons. That could help Gore's case when he is eligible in a few years.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At what point does longevity start to work against a player?
    Frank Gore has played 13 years at one of the most physically demanding positions in professional sports. He hasn't missed a game since the start of the 2011 season. Since his second year, he's missed a total of 10 games.
    I acknowledge that he doesn't have the "wow" factor working for him, but that kind of durability combined with his stats has to count for something.

8. cjericho

Would think most times it could work against him. But just considering now the average career for a RB is what, 2.5 seasons? it is kind of impressive for anyone
    now to play a decade at RB and just still be serviceable. Wonder if there will be more TEs going into the HOF in a few years than RBs. Of RBs in the league right now,
    AP is a lock and he may be the only one. Not sure if Gore, McCoy or Lynch is a lock. Think McCoy is the best of those three, but Gore has definitely compiled more.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's still way too early in their careers, but I can see Zeke Elliott and Le'veon Bell becoming HOF caliber backs, just because they're two of the few every down workhorses in the NFL right now. At least two of the few that seem capable of leading the league in rushing on a yearly basis.
    But yeah, the way the position is changing there might be a "lost generation" of RBs until HOF voters adjust the standards for the way modern offenses use the RB.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Gore needs 59 yards from scrimmage yards to become the second player in NFL history with at least 1,000 scrimmage yards in 12 consecutive seasons, joining Emmitt Smith, who accomplished the feat in 13 consecutive seasons from 1990-2002.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Frank Gore's season came to an end with an injury.

If this is the end: 3,382 carries for 14,748 yards and 77 touchdowns; 455 catches for 3,796 yards and 18 touchdowns.

So far, fifth all-time in attempts, fourth all-time in rushing yards (511 behind No. 3), tied for 22nd in TDs; 5th all-time in yards from scrimmage

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tiki Barber. Averaged 1500 yards from scrimmage a year for a 10 year career

Draft saved Draft deleted