1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Gore HOF?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 29, 2017.

1. 10-year-plus RB, who today became No. 6 all-time career rushing yards.
    Never led the league in rushing, but incredibly durable and resilient never played less than 11 games in a season.

HOF numbers?

I say No. He's a durable compiler. He had some better than average years, but I don't think he was merits entry without a ticket.
    That said, I think he will get in, but He shouldn't.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Team's ring of honor? yes
    H0F? no

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whitman was better at this.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I have no clue how Hall voters will handle this era of the game, but peeking at his Football Reference page, I'd consider Gore like a Fred McGriff kind of candidate. The counting stats look pretty good, but he made All-Pro second team once, and the Pro Bowl five times, in 13 years. Yeah, the Pro Bowl is a joke... but why has he only made it five times then? Season high for yards was 1,695, which is impressive, but his next highest seasons are 1,211 and 1,214. His career comparables has 2 HOF games (Floyd Little and Jerome Bettis), and "Hall of Really Good" guys like Corey Dillon, Earnest Byner and Steven Jackson.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Yes.

And to clarify, he didn't move to No. 6. he needs around 200 yards, depending on how he finishes today, to pass Bettis. He needs about 250 to pass LT for No. 5. You get to top five in rushing, you're a Hall of Famer.

As an addition, you also have his receiving ability -- over 400 catches, 3,500 yards and 16 more TDs there. So combined TDs is 93, which is tied for 28th all-time. He's gonna be top 15 in all-purpose yards sometime next week and has an outside shot at the top 10.

9 1,000 yard seasons and another that was 33 short. Those 10 seasons are in an 11-season span (the other year is 853 when he missed five games). That's a really strong run.

I will say this about the Pro Bowl -- a decade ago was different compared to now. Go back and look. In 2007 there were only two NFC running backs. The next year there were only three. It's not like last year, when there were five from the NFC.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Very good compiler, which is hard to do as the average career for a RB keeps shirnking. At his peak he was a top 5, maybe top 3 RB, but the hasn't averaged 4 yards per carry since 14. So as his career yards and TDs increase, his yards per carry is going down, although prob won't drop that much anymore. Good comparison with McGriff.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

#9 All Time in Yards from scrimmage. That’s pretty good. 22th in rushing TDS is pedestrian for an all timer.

Hall of Compiling

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well if he scores one more he is 21st. and two more he is 20th. And if he gets 10 more he's 15th.

Also, 7 of the 21 in front of him are not in the Hall. One is Peterson, who is. One is Edgerrin James, who has been a HOF finalist.

And to be fair, as I pointed out about his receiving, Gore has more receiving touchdowns than 17 of the 21 players in front of him.

Why is it better to have 86 touchdowns rushing and 6 receiving than 76 and 16? He still scored 93 TDs? Would that make you feel better if he was 15th in rushing touchdowns with that number?

Bettis is at 91 and 3. Is he a better running back because scored one more TD than Gore but almost all of them were on the ground?

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

He would be in if he won a Super Bowl. Way to go Kaepernick.

sgreenwell, LongTimeListener and QYFW like this.
  10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Gore is better than a compiler, but I understand why the label is being applied to him. Statistically, he is also a good bit better than Bettis, who was terrible as a receiver. Gore's career average per carry is 4.4 yards. Compare that to 3.9 yards for Bettis and you can see where somebody might build a decent case for Gore by comparison.

But Bettis led his team to a Super Bowl. And apparently it was in his home town. I seem to have heard something about that once upon a time.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems worth pointing out, given the voting panel, that Gore has always been a media favorite and a total pro in that area.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And that is also part of how Bettis got in.

Draft saved Draft deleted