1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Gifford - RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Aren't we all?

2. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

Near the end of his announcing time.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The trick with any announcer is not to hang on too long. Even the greats — Summerall and Keith Jackson, to name two — were terrible by the end. Verne Lundquist is another in that category.

In many (if not most) cases, failing eyesight has a lot to do with it.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Given the access to spotters and technology those guys have, I doubt eyesight is a big factor anymore. It's more mental sharpness.

5. qtlaw24

qtlaw24 Active Member

I always admired Gifford's attempt to stay professional while Cosell and Meredith were screwing around. As for Kathie Lee Gifford, I was ill-informed and thought she was Miss "Goody Two Shoes" but saw her on Watch What Happens Live with my wife who loves the show and Ms. Gifford was quite fun and admitted to smoking marijuana when she was in college.

Wow, entire MNF booth now in the big booth in the sky.

May he RIP.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Keith Jackson, who did pbp on the first season of MNF, is still alive.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

With Summerall, it was more problems with alcohol. He actually sharpened up for a short while after he got clean. Then, the clock caught up to him.

I'm not ready to put Uncle Verne to pasture, yet.

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. He was sort of the voice of reason in that booth.

Wonder how many people remember that Keith Jackson actually did that first year of MNF play-by-play. I recall reading somewhere that he wasn't happy about the change at the time, but obviously it worked out quite well for him in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Paraphrasing my wife and mom last night when young Frank Gifford clips were shown: He's hot.

Great googly-moogly.

10. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

"Cody still wants a pony." -- Craig Kilborn, probably.

Ace likes this.
  11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

You can add Dick Stockton to this list.

poindexter likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It definitely was never about "Faultless Frank" in the booth, whether he was in the middle of the double hurricane of Howard and Don, or as the analyst in the three-man tsunami of the great Albino and the blubbering Dier-dork.

He brought a sense of calmness, sanity to the booth, and his kick to the curb by ABC in the late 1990s for the jackass Esiason was a disgrace, especially for what he brought to ABC for nearly 30 years.

No, he wasn't Summerall, Gowdy or Enberg as the PBP announcer. Nor was he Madden, Olsen, Collinsoworth, Gruden or Simms when he was shifted to the analyst chair.

But he was nuanced. Balanced. Calm. A needed tonic who was a vital ingredient to what made MNF -- and in large part, the NFL -- a must-watch no matter who was playing, no matter the time or channel.

A Giant on the field. And a giant on TV.

RIP.

Liut and heyabbott like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted