1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Gifford - RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by exmediahack, Aug 9, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Possibly the best former player turned announcer. RIP.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Summerall was better than Gifford. Nonetheless, RIP Frank.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

In 1953, Gifford ran for two scores, caught four touchdown passes, threw a TD on a halfback option, returned an interception for a score, kicked a field goal and converted a pair of extra points.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is probably true. Particularly because Summerall was also excellent in the tower as a golf announcer. Otherwise I really only remember Summerall as a play-by-play guy while Gifford did play-by-play and analysis in the booth and was also host of NFL Today through much of the late 60s and early 70s.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This life is fucking over.
    RIP.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gifford used to always tell the story of how, right afterward, Bednarik felt bad about the hit, and Gifford understood and was going to call him and tell him not to be upset, but the two teams were playing again right afterward, so he waited to call in hopes that Bednarik would still be feeling guilty entering the second game.

It didn't work, as the Giants lost again. They had been 5-1-1 entering the Eagles series, and went 1-3-1 afterward.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Gifford was certainly the best announcer was who also a Hall of Fame football player (though Summerall was a decent kicker).

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I always felt bad for Frank. His wife dragging every little thing from home onto her show must've been grating. No wonder he went for that flight attendant.

11. YorksArcades

YorksArcades Active Member

She was a harpy. (Not the flight attendant.)

The best response to that came when Harpy Lee was on the celebrity version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Regis, while introducing her, says dryly: "Well, according to my card, you're married with XX kids ..."

Back to Frank: I thought he was OK as an announcer, but I thought he seemed slow and crotchety near the end.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Gifford, who screwed Johnny Carson's wife in his spare time, was 84."

Draft saved Draft deleted