1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank DeFord

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Indy scene story I mentioned earlier. It's from 1982.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1125576/1/index.htm

Most people, when they're doing scene stories, fall to easy cliches about cities, or fans, or whatever. What's impressive here is that Deford doesn't care for Indy, but comes with an open mind, still doesn't care for it, but reports what he sees without easy, your-city-and-event-sucks hack work.

2. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Deford was flat-out captivating. I have become a fan.

Here's my story. He talked from about 8 p.m. to 9:15 p.m., giving me about an hour to write my story.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/040308/SPO_BG821S76.077.php

3. I lost my head in the heat of battle.

4. CentralIllinoisan

Oh, and he still has the John Waters moustache and Pauly Walnuts hair, although both are a little more grey and a little thinner.

A couple of photos
    http://pjstar.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=488290

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was a subscriber and I used to have to walk to the 7-11 near my school to pick up my copy. It was there about half the time. I would eventually get all of them, but at least half were there a day or two late.

6. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Yo, CentralIllinoisan: Did Frank tell the story about the letter he received from a minister in Alabama after quoting Bear Bryant's self-deprecating comment in a magazine piece?

7. RIP, Frank.

Wait. He's not dead?

8. CentralIllinoisan

Indeed he did.

DeFord wrote about Bryant as a tired, old man who felt pushed to attain college coaching records.

A minister from Tuscaloosa Methodist Church wrote DeFord a letter, on church stationary:

"Dear Mr. Deford: If your parents ever decide to get married, I welcome the opportunity to perform the ceremony at no charge."

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Please, let's not lose sight of the fact that the cat was <i>not feeling well.</i>

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Did anyone catch DeFord's piece on the minor-league baseball coach killed by the foul ball last night on HBO?
    It was amazing. Incredibly moving.

11. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

It was indeed very moving. I had tears in my eyes several times. And that was after reading Jones' piece in Esquire on a flight earlier in the day. Teared up several times there as well.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I once rode a subway with him. Random encounter. It was at least 10 years ago. We were both on for several stops, so we got to share about 15 to 20 minutes just shooting the shit. He was sitting right next to me. Nice guy. I can't remember everything we talked about, but I do remember George Steinbrenner being a topic of conversation. I realize this wouldn't have helped CI with his story, even if I told it before the speech, but it was actually one of those encounters I walked away from thinking "wow" and "living in NY is awesome sometimes."

Draft saved Draft deleted