1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank DeFord

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I had the chance to talk to him earlier this year and he was so gracious to an aspiring journalist. I was nervous to talk to him because I've always admired his work, but he couldn't have been nicer.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, the "money man" died several years ago...

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've talked to several people who worked at The National who said the primary reason it failed is because Deford spent way too much money hiring people and traveling and doing all that before they had any subscriber base. They all love the guy, but basically said he had zero business sense.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I think it's a great idea to use Bradley's run in the famed CBI as a launching point for the story. ... I'm just kidding, that makes no sense.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ads? We need ads?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ask him what Billy Cannon thought about "Everybody's All-American."

(It was actually based on Charlie "Choo-choo" Justice, though the movie made it seem like it was based on Cannon).

Seriously, though, just ask him what he looks for in a great feature story, and go from there ...

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It failed because the distribution system was flawed. And that the U.S. spans four time zones. Not because Deford spent too much on hiring and travel.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn, that Manifest Destiny. Damn it!!!!

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ask him about the time he was writing late into a Sunday night (I think Monday was the SI deadline) following a World Series game and took his typewriter into his hotel bathroom so as not to keep other guests awake. FYI: His daughter, Alex, died of CF in 1980.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The bathroom was quieter than his actual hotel room? Or was he staying in barracks?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sez you and the Native Americans.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Here's the question: Why the hell would he let John Feinstein fly back from the French Open to take care of his sick cat, then fly him back to cover the finals? On the Concord.

Draft saved Draft deleted