1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank DeFord

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 2, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

OK, Frank DeFord is coming to Bradley University, and I, verily, was picked to attend the lecture. He's supposed to speak on a half-century of sports journalism, and I'm supposed to cover it.

I'd not read a single word of DeFord's before a few days ago. Any suggestions? My editor says he just wants the usual color of the crowd, jist of the speech, etc.

Bradley is playing, at home, in Game 2 of the CBI, so I'm tempted to use that as a parallel. I dunno.

Help out a journo brother.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Do some research on The National. He was the EIC. I wanted his job. The paper folded before I could even graduate HS. Should have taken the hint.

Also research his involvement with cystic fibrosis...his daughter died of it.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Please, CI, find out in advance if you can have a few minutes afterward to sit and talk with him. An absolutley brilliant and fascinating man...as well as one of the nicest human beings you'll ever meet.

And as BYH suggested, reasearch The National as well as his work at SI and his charitable work for CF

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Ask him if his hairstyle was inspired by Pauly Walnuts, or was it the other way around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

His Bob Knight piece called "The Rabbit Hunter" is one of his best...

His Anna Kournikova cover piece in SI may have been one of his most controversial. He and SI got shredded (mostly justifiably) after it ran. I'd be curious if he could tell you about the hate mail he got after that one...

He has an anthology out there that you could read in a few hours...

I've met him a couple times. I don't know if strange is the right word, but he's definitely very out there...

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Also, ask him what the hell Bryant Gumbel is writing in his notepad when "Real Sports" transitions to the studio segments.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Great guy.

My pet description of him is "charmingly naive".

You'll find out.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Very nice guy. He's so nice it almost catches you off-guard...

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You also can go to NPR's web site and search for his weekly commentaries on Morning Edition.

Also, now that the SI archive is open, you can dive into everything he's done there. I recommend finding -- it's either from 1980 or 1981 -- his scene piece on the Indianapolis 500. It's hilarious.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

By all means, ask him about The National. And find out if his money man in Mexico is ready to give it another try, only on the Web this time. Then PM me.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Also, when you introduce yourself to him, don't pronounce his last name with a capital "F." It's "Deford."

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Central:

Please visit SI.com/vault and give these three articles a read. They represent some of the best feature writing ever penned in Sports Illustrated.

1. The Rabbit Hunter

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1124147/index.htm

2. The Boxer and The Blond

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1119578/index.htm

3. The Toughest Coach There Ever Was

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1122011/index.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted