1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Deford wins Red Smith Award

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Mar 22, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, so he did.

http://apsportseditors.org/newsletter/frank-deford-is-2012-red-smith-award-winner/

I will never say a single bad word about Frank Deford, who I grew up reading and always admired, but even he notes that he thought it was a "newspaper award" and I must admit: So did I.

Do, two things: 1) Is he big enough, and did he influence what newspapers and newspaper writers did enough that it doesn't matter and/or B) did his time with the grand experiment, The National, make him a "newspaper guy."

Or doesn't any of it matter?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

True, Deford's more of a magazine guy than newspaper guy (and he's more of a TV guy now through his work with "Real Sports"), but I imagine the spirit of the award is "impact on sports journalism." And Deford has had a larger impact than most there.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think it's time to break out of the newspaper-only model for these types of awards. But I would say The National Sports Daily made a serious, if short-lived, wave in the history of newspaper sports sections by pulling away and redistributing top talent and calling attention to many up-and-coming stars.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Fair points, and well-taken, just wondering.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think you can underestimate the impact Deford has had on generations of sportswriters.

As a kid, I'd leaf through my dad's SIs. The typeface seemed to small and the articles to long for me to read, but I loved the pictures and read the captions. I think Bull Sullivan might have been the first long feature I ever made it all the way through.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1122011/index.htm

I'm sure I wasn't the only person who read that and realized you didn't need to be a big name, win a big game or be on TV to be worth writing about. Deford brought to life a long dead coach and that story still pings around by brain. The pictured by the late great Brian Lanker really helped make that story.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Hope he gets a haircut for the award ceremony. When I've seen him on Real Sports. He looks like Rhett Butler on a bender.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted