1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Frank Deford, USA-Today and others sound off about soccer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Re: Frank Deford sounds off about soccer

You have got to be kidding, of course. But I'll play.

Let's put it this way: do you NOT find it funny when some curmudgeon yells that some sport is "un-American!" for whatever reason? Do you NOT chuckle a bit when same person says "God did not intend for us to (do activity related to sport)!"

Do these things NOT sound like something the old-fashioned, the ultra-conservative people, would say? Do they NOT sound like something a couple of "King of the Hill" types would say while watching the traffic go by from their rocking chairs?  

Man's entitled to his opinion, like anyone else. He was once one of the great sports journalists ever. But I thought that being against any sport just because it's "un-American" or "God didn't intend for us to play it!" was an attitude that had long since been replaced by actual analysis.

I like to think most of the journalists who still wish to bash any sport in print have better reasoning than some outdated idea of God's intention or the American-ness of the activity.

2. Re: Frank Deford sounds off about soccer

I recall Frank writing a glowing report about the Camerounian team for The National back in the day.
    Hmm...

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

hey Hey HEY I hate ALL those non-sports!!!  :D

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yo, BYH, let's go back to the baseball thread and talk about a REAL sport.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm not interested in NASCAR or WWE, which is why I don't post in those threads.

There have been a couple of interesting UFC threads about how much coverage it merits. I would think that a bashing thread shows something has entrenched itself in some way, since people are talking about it. Both bashing and defending.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've watched most of the World Cup mainly because I can't resist the lure of a good sporting event. The pool games were entertaining, especially some of those where both teams were already eliminated.

Having said that, most of these elimination games have sucked. One hundred and twenty minutes of nothing. Half of them have been decided by Divac-esque flops in the 18-yard box, which is akin to giving the Heat 20 points everytime Wade feigned injury. PK's change the game that much.

The other half have been decided by PK's, which is an atroucious way to end any playoff contest. Do whatever you have to to let the players decide the game ... unlimited subs, whatever. But make sure they decide it the right way.

I've joked before about soccer going against evolution because hands aren't allowed. But the skill at the international level is no joke. It's fun to watch. The part about the offsides rule is laughable, because then soccer would turn into nothing more than a cherry-picking fest.

But DeFord's right: soccer will never catch on in America.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I will not stand idly by as someone disses Vlade, dammit!

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Which is about the 1,000,000 time that sentiment has been posted.

So now we've flogged that dead horse until it's a messy pulp but no one has adequately explained why.

It's not because it's just "foreign" because football and baseball have roots in foreign sports and basketball was invented by a Canadian.

The "soccer is a commie sport" nutbars are closer to the truth than most would like to admit: soccer was imported by swarthy, garlic-eating immigrants and the dislike of soccer has a touch of classism with a dash of xenophobia.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Notre Dame-Army, college football, 1946, 0-0 tie

Considered by many (like Deford) one of the greatest football games ever.

THAT makes no sense.

10. doubledown68

Here's my explanation, ya pissed off Canuck: It's boring. It's boring as hell. I'm not xenophobic. I can appreciate the athleticism. Amaaazing athletes. But the final product is just boring. A small, devoted segment of the population loves NPR. But it won't ever be more popular than classic rock formats. Why? It's boring.

Does that make me the boorish American? I couldn't care less. It's boring.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

October 27, 1991. Twins 1, Braves 0. Greatest baseball game ever in my lifetime.

BUT, the argument is, and why it makes sense, is that a 1-0 baseball game or a scoreless football game is a rarity, not the rule. If all baseball games were 1-0, like, say, college softball, then "they" would be making the same arguments against baseball, too.

Also, people are xenophobic and sports fandom is generally a local/regional thing (i.e. most teams' fans are from that area. Exceptions include Yankees, Cubs, Notre Dame, et al.)

12. doubledown68

More flopping around than Merton Hanks? Though Merton's antics were in celebration.

Draft saved Draft deleted