1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francisco Cabrera alert........

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jan 19, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hasn't he changed his tune since?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If he has, Wikipedia doesn't mention it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I view Games 4 and 5 of the 2001 World Series the same way. Yes, the Yankees didn't win the Series, so it's not my favorite Yankees moment ever, but those two games are still great memories just because of the drama involved.

4. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i'm betting about half the people on this board could have thrown out Bream at the plate. Hell, it was basically from deep shortstop.

5. outofplace

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=980CE5D9173EF932A15751C1A961958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=3

Check out this piece written by the late Myron Cope in 1997. It paints a very different picture of Madden's reaction than what you have here. See page two.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

One part about that piece echoes the links I posted -- that Madden was bothered more by the delay between the end of the play and the final signal of touchdown, than by which player the ball truly hit, which he said was Tatum after the game.

7. outofplace

He was accusing them of seeing that the call should have gone the Raiders way, but giving the Steelers the touchdown anyway. Doesn't sound like he thought it was legal.

8. OK, even as a lifelong Braves fan, I'm going to do something here I almost never do — defend Barry Bonds.

The throw was a little longer than "deep shortstop" as you put it, and it was actually a pretty good one. It was on target (maybe slightly to the first base side, but not much) and got there on one hop fairly quickly. It was just a little late.

In fact, it MAY have been the best throw Barry Bonds ever made.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why none of the NFL Films versions of this play show Harris catching the ball.

You always see a wide sideline shot of the field when the ball deflects then it cuts to a tight end zone shot of Harris and his hands and the ball are out of the shot when he makes the "catch". Then they cut back to the wide sideline shot as he runs into the end zone.

Odd.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Zags, damn you for starting this thread.

Sniff...

11. outofplace

Translation. You wish you had seen a shot of the ball hitting the ground, but you haven't.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Haven't seen a shot of him catching it either.

Draft saved Draft deleted