1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francisco Cabrera alert........

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jan 19, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I forgot all about Cecil Espy coming into the game and not playing Pendleton to pull the ball -- and that Lind error.

This was more of a choke job that I even remember.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Any woman who can make a crack about Matt friggin' Stairs is a keeper.

3. zagoshe

The two things that stand out watching it again -- Berryhill got two very generous balls which, in slow mo, looked like strikes and if Lind makes the play he's supposed to, the Pirates likely win that game.

Also, Leyland stayed with Drabek two batters too long.

4. Sid Bream scoring on that hit had to be the slowest a runner has ever gone from second to home and not been thrown out.

And Francisco Cabrera still gets huge ovations on Old Timers Day in Atlanta.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Amen. Still my favorite baseball memory.

6. zagoshe

And just as I was feeling good about raining on the parade of Pittsburgh fans around here -- I turn to NFL Network and see "America's Game -- the 1974 Steelers...."

Now I am the one crying and thumping walls...... ;)

Edit: And now that is over and as if that wasn't bad enough -- now the fucking 1975 Steelers are on............

I might puke then jump out the window.....

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just wait, NFL Network is going to show a half-four recap of Super Bowl XL in the next 24 hours!

8. zagoshe

Uh-Oh That loud thumping sound you just heard was Lee Jackson Beauregard smashing his remote control into his coffee table....

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bream is one of two players -- pitchers included -- to earn a one in speed on Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball. I think Pat Borders is the other one; it's someone on Toronto.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ok, I finally caved and looked at this thread. I agree with every part of this post, too. Drabek was completely gassed when he finished the 8th. I understand why he did it. His bullpen sucked. But Stan Belinda was also MUCH better starting an inning than if he had to come in with runners on base.

That said, Leyland gets away with the mistake if Lind doesn't boot a fairly easy grounder. Lind had only six errors in the regular season last year and his only reason for bieng in a major-league lineup was his glove.

The thing is, Pirates fans knew this was their last shot for a long time. Bonds and Drabek were both going to leave as free agents and that was going to be it. The loss hurt, but watching that team dismantled piece by piece for three years (Bonilla to free agency, Smiley in trade, etc) left me so disgusted, I stopped giving a shit if the Pirates won or lost that day and never started again.

I don't mean to turn this into another cap convesation. I understand that the Pirates suck because their ownership doesn't give a damn and their baseball decision makers have been horrible since 1992. The relative lack of revenue is only a part of the equation. I'm just explaining how I view this particular game.

But, I had also refused to play fantasy baseball, now one of my favorite hobbies, because I was too invested in my real team. The Pirates' demise took care of that problem. (Hi Spnited!)

Fuck Francisco Cabrera. Go Steelers!

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I swear, isn't Bream like halfway between second and third when Bonds throws home?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ha.

Seriously, I think he had just rounded third. Proof that Bonds did not restrict his choking in the playoffs to the use of his bat.

Draft saved Draft deleted