1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franchise quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Or LTL, yes.

North still on locally?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

With the 5-6 guys mentioned, if their teams are down by three touchdowns in the fourth quarter, you think they still have a chance to come back.

With Romo, Kaepernick, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Cutler, I seriously doubt people have similar confidence, even though they're talented enough to do it. I think if anything, you expect them to blow it.

Flacco and Wilson are probably somewhere in between.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The 2008 Patriots were the same team as the 2007 bunch minus Brady. That team did go 18-1 the previous season. It was loaded. In that year, anyway, Cassel was an effective mechanic focused on error-avoidance, which was all they needed to be 11-5.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think so. I think he's on the Fox Sports morning show.

5. How is this different from any other list thread in SportsJournalists.com history?

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

While he has certainly given his share back, I'd be surprised if Rodgers or Brees or even Rothlesberger has as many of those (as a percentage) as Romo.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I havre been beating this drum for years. Who is "elite" and who is "not elite" is the dumbest debate in sports. People treat the word like it's a magical summit that, once achieved, it means everything is gravy. Once deemed "elite!" you will never play poorly again!

8. RecoveringJournalist

Well, you have to be down in order to come back. I know that's probably not fair, but I'm guessing Rodgers and Brees have had leads in the majority of the games they've played in during the fourth quarter.

I like Romo, and I think a lot of the criticism of him is over the top, and a bit unfair, but I remember watching the Dallas-Denver game last season where for the majority of the game, Romo played as well has he had during his career, matching Manning TD for TD and I was watching, just waiting for him to eventually throw the game-deciding pick, which he did. Then, similarly, I remember Rodgers against the Bears last season where it all came down to one play and I never for a second thought they wouldn't win that game.

Romo does not inspire that confidence and Rodgers does, and to me that's the difference between the "franchise QBs" and the guys who are just good starting QBs.

9. Talking about Elite QBs, I agree.
    Franchise Qbs? I think my (revised) list works well. I know ... I know how that comes off (hangs head in shame) ....
    Of the QBs I listed ... how many are entrenched as starters this year as well as next year - barring injury or retirement? Those are franchise QBs.
    As I stated before there's a vast gulf between a Franchise QB and Elite one.

There's a difference between franchise and starter. Cutler is starter. Is he a franchise QB? No way.
    I'd argue the same with Nick Foles, Brian Hoyer, Alex Smith, and even Carson Palmer.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is elite.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yep, which is why threads like these usually devolve into silly semantic exercises. "Franchise quarterback" is one of those created by media terms that became trendy for football-talkers to throw out, but nobody knows what it actually means, there is no such defined thing.

So go ahead and claim anyone you want as a FQ, you can't be wrong.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

As elite as it is dumb.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted