1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franchise quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr. Sunshine, Nov 3, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

That is what I was thinking.
    There really can be no more than four or five at any given time.
    If everyone is elite then no one is.
    This is a media term that holds little actual meaning.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Pretty much.

For me, if a team is down 20 points in the fourth quarter and I feel confident it can win the game, then I consider that QB a franchise quarterback. Guys like Wilson, Romo, Ryan and Flacco are very good, but they don't instill the requisite confidence.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If there are 5:

Brady
    Manning
    Luck
    Rodgers
    Brees

4. joe

joe Active Member

It's interesting that when folks say "Manning" on this thread, there's no doubt they're talking about Peyton despite Eli having won more Super Bowls than his older brother.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I look at what happened to the Colts when Manning was injured and the Packers when Rodgers was injured last season as examples of true franchise QBs. With that QB, you're going to be a playoff contender almost every year and if that guy gets hurt, you could be one of the worst teams in the league.

6. RecoveringJournalist

Right. Because anyone who thinks Eli Manning is on the same level as his older brother is too dumb to be allowed to walk among the rest of us.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Cross Brady off the list then. #2008 :D

8. Why?

See if there's talk of benching a guy - serious talk - or he's been bouncing around the league - more two teams in five years - he's not a franchise QB IMO.

That's why I didn't include Hoyer, Palmer, Tannehil, RGIII, and whoever the hell is starting St. Louis and Minnesota.

Franchise and Elite aren't the same thing. Not even close.
    You can't have more than five QBs in the league who are elite. Elite ... Those are the guys - as RJ noted - that are the schedule that you know can flat out beat you. By themselves: Brady, Manning.
    HUGE difference between a franchise QB and an elite one.

9. RecoveringJournalist

A notable exception. That either means Belichick is the genius people think, or he benefited from having a QB who opponents weren't familiar with and couldn't properly scout.

10. Mr. Sunshine

There has never been "serious" talk about benching Cutler.

Also, he has switched teams as often as Brees.

11. RecoveringJournalist

So you're saying the callers to Mike North's radio show doesn't constitute "Serious talk" :D

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted