1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Franchione selling insider info to boosters

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 28, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can someone fill me in on the recruiting rules?

As far as I know, it's illegal to publicly talk about recruiting issues. Since these chaps on the mailing list signed confidentiality agreements, Fran can argue that he thought he was talking to a private group.

Coaches have been known to talk off the record about recruiting. In that instance, they're not publicly talking about recruiting.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

More than one person in a published newsletter is publicly...

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Common sense says yes.

But he can get around by saying confidentiality agreements were signed, and technically each separate e-mail is its own communication. Also, no one probably knew how many people were on the listserv, since I would hope he was smart enough to blind cc it.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And reading this further... I don't think Fran will get away from saying "buh... buh... buh... McKenzie wrote it" because the whole said thing is "Coach Fran gave me... coach Fran told me... coach Fran unzipped his fly and I... "

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the confidentiality agreement goes right out the window with this tidbit from McKenzie encouraging the donors to spread information. True, it might just be about the one item, but you can't pick and choose. it's all confidential or it all isn't... err, none of it... you know...

" Subject: Information that will help you in discussions

We have had countless calls and emails centering on rumors about how the deal came down with Gibbs. After long discussion today with Coach Fran, and some good ideas from members of this group, we decided to give you all the "ammo" you need to form an army of ambassadors who can help us offset the misinformation spreading rampantly. "

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Misinformation spreading rapidly... is he Baghdad Bob?

7. MoonoverMontgomery

MoonoverMontgomery New Member

slurpy!

Draft saved Draft deleted