1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francesa is riding off into the sunset again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CD Boogie, Nov 5, 2019.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

That poor horse.

Liut likes this.
  2. One of these guys does NOT belong.

It’s sports talk radio!!!

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait, you mean to tell me at some point, this guy was good?
    No fucking way. I do not believe it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. poindexter

If this guy was raised in Lodi, he would have never made it past Fresno sports radio.
    100% a figment of NY media. Talent doesn't fill a thimble.

Liut likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What's really irritating is all the "New York" type guys that have polluted sports radio coast to coast with their "authentic sports voice."

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Part of it was simply getting in early, but Mike and the Dog were the authoritative opinions on NY sports. If something big happened the night before or over the weekend, you had to be there at 1 pm to hear what they had to say. And their picks shows on football Fridays were great and somewhat novel. Now, there are 1,000 opinions in real time and they were no longer unique.

Mike also increasingly bought into his own bullshit and seems like a bad guy, whereas Dog seemed like a big softie. When Dog left, all that remained was the know it all vitriol, which was in a way part of his appeal. I’m sure that WFAN loved all of the Twitter coverage of Mike’s buffoonery, because it added a level of humor to his character which I don’t think was really there.

Guy_Incognito and matt_garth like this.
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Didn't hurt that the FAN was the first all sports station in the U.S. and these guys were its breakout stars. Sometimes being first influences your legacy a lot more than being best.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I remember Mike from being on CBS football. How did he get that? Was he known for getting along with Parcells?

9. poindexter

I've never heard him sound like anything but a babbling buffoon. Any tape evidence of back in the day, him being good?

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yes. Was listening to him the other day and he recounted how Marv Levy would never speak to him for segments because he had a rep for being in Parcells's pocket.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I tend not to carry around 25 year old radio tape, but they were frequently very good.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted