1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Francesa Falls Asleep On Air

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Only thing better is if the fat fuck wouldnt have woken up.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You mean go the way of Elvis ? Seems too harsh.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Seriously? I hope you didn't just wish death on a guy.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not death. Just an extended nap. Like snoring.....big boy Sunday Afternoon nap.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Looking at that video i don't see any incontrovertible evidence he was asleep. And if he was, one couldn't blame him considering the long, dull speech Sweeney Murti was in the middle of. I fell asleep myself.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

he had CLEARLY nodded off; you could see it in the way his head snapped up (mikey did everything but wipe the drool from his chin, for cryin' out loud). then his bug-eyed look for a couple of seconds until he regained his bearings... it's been hysterical today to hear a few callers sneak in one-line references to the incident, which fatcessa defensively rips them for picking out those '12 seconds' to zing what has been. in his eyes, a 'brillant' 25-year radio run. he challenged one caller if he had any idea how much time he's actually spent on the air vs. those 12 seconds, finally telling the stumped caller, 'i didn't think you could calculate the hours and minutes in his head with such a peabrain (words to that effect).

mikey said he intended to 'ignore' the incident, despite the pub it received in the n.y. tabs, until HIS WIFE and his boss at wfan urged him to address it. then a a--hole starts out by DENYING he fell asleep while then going onto explaining why he was so exhausted, citing the late-night nfl games and being up 'half the night' with his son, who was experiencing one of his asthma episodes.

obviously, my sympathies to the fat man and his mrs. for having to tend to the needs of their son when he has an attack. but why did he have to explain why he nodded off if he DIDN'T NOD off, as he insisted. and why, then, did he promise it would never happen again if it never happened at all?

gezz, if he was up all night with his kid and that was why he nodded off why couldn't he just come straight out and told his 'dedicated' listeners straight out? that most human of explanations would've made scored major points with even hiss harshest critics. but N-O-O-O-O-O.....he had to go the denial/coverup route.

weak. very weak.

7. cortez

cortez Member

He didn't miss anything. He already knows all there is to know about the Yanks

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

That this guy has carved out such a long (and I'm sure lucrative) career is one of the many mysteries of life. I blame CBS for giving him his first national exposure (and the overblown sense that people cared what the hell he thinks).

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hard not to fall asleep the way Murti was droning on, though. Wrap it up!

But the video clip is hilarious.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Now MikeFrancesaNY on twitter is a lot better than his show. not sure who the guy is but it is hilarious. He was always a pompous jackass now he is a lazy pompous jackass who gives minimal effort.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I did too and I'm with you on Russo, as well.

I still recall a 2004 simulcast originating from Fenway in which Mike and the Mad Dog were discussing New York's starting rotation against St. Louis. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Who needs Snow White, when you've got Grumpy, Sleepy and Dopey all in one giant-sized package?

Draft saved Draft deleted