1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fracas at 10-and-under rec softball game. Princesscreole cries. - UPDATED!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Re: Fracas at 10-and-under rec softball game. Princesscreole cries.

It was bad long before either existed.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I have had two incidents in recreation sports in which I almost got into it with another parent.

1. When Older Scicluna was 3 years old, we had him in a gymnastics class. Mostly, the kids just ran and jumped around an obstacle course. After a while, they just start chasing each other around, as 3-year-olds are apt to do.

Well, OS starts running, and bumps into a 15-month old toddler, who can barely walk. Father of kid starts yelling at me, telling me why the hell can't I control my kid. I yell back that if the kid can barely move, why he doesn't have her in the baby class instead of the toddler class. After that, I walk away. That was the last time that family showed up for a class.

2. A parent of a kid on the opposing team when the older Scicluna was playing in U6 soccer. Older Scicluna has some issues, and slugged a kid on the opposing team. Our coach made my son sit out. I talked to him for a while, and told him to go over to apologize to the other boy, who was sitting in his stands with his parents crying over the hit.

After a few minutes, I took my son by the hand to make him apologize. He did, but the other kid's parents gave me some really nasty looks.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

king, I know what I'd probably do, knowing I was doing the wrong thing the whole time.

When I got back, I'd confront that other guy about ruining my child's softball experience by being a douchenozzle.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The parents were crying over the hit?
    That's ridiculous.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've seen parents go into hysterics when their kid falls off the bench.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

When I was 17 years old I was refereeing a basketball game in a 6-7 year old league. I had a father come out of the stands and push me in the back during the middle of the game. Being 17 and a punk, I drilled the fucker in the face. Smart move, probably not but what father shoves a kid ref during a 6-7 league game?

Needless to say, I was never asked to use the whistle again.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I would've clicked to see that on YouTube.

8. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The year it happened, I think Beta was still in existence.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hopefully you didn't hit him with your throwing hand.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

T-Ball parents, in my experience, were the absolute worst, followed closely by house league hockey parents when their kids were between 8 and 10.

House League! Little Johnny couldn't even make a rep team, let alone a A, AA or AAA team and the parents thought he was the next Baby Jesus.

Parents calmed down when their kid was 15 and they realised that in three years he'd be playing beer league hockey.

I must say I don't miss a lot of it.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't have kids, but many years ago I was always being asked to get involved with coaching or officiating youth sports - baseball, softball, wrestling, basketball.
    I was always polite when I declined, but a more honest response would have been 'Do I look like a masochist or something?'

12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

What parent has their 6-7 year old kid in a basketball league to begin with?? Jeebus Khrist Almighty....

Draft saved Draft deleted