1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fracas at 10-and-under rec softball game. Princesscreole cries. - UPDATED!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by kingcreole, Jun 12, 2008.

1. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Well, it took just two games into my daughter's fastpitch softball career for her to witness her first parents vs. coaches brew-ha-ha.

I missed it because I had to jet back to work right after the game ended. But the queen filled me in.

Princesscreole joined a local club team this summer. It's a relatively new club with a travelling 12-and-under team, and a new 10-and-under rec team. I've known the 12-and-under coaches, and I really like their coaching style. Definitely the kind of people I want my daughter to play for.

Today was a rough game. Lost 10-0 against a very, very good team. A few of the 12-and-under girls came out to support the 10s after their practice. The 10s coach is actually the daughter of the 12s coach. Nice girl, good player, can be a little hard on the girls but that's fine with me as long as she doesn't get nasty or personal. Any way, in the top of the fourth, we're down 10-0. All of the 12s coaches are there, and the coaches decided to let a couple of the 12s players coach bases in the fourth. I didn't exactly agree with it, but it wasn't a big deal to me either.

Apparently, it really pissed off some parents. They felt the coaches had "quit" on the team. One of the player's dad's got in the face of the club's main coach and shouted at him in front of everyone. Then some parents confronted the 10s coach about being too hard on their daughters. The 10s coach listened then told them it was enough, she had a team to talk to. When the parents kept arguing, the coach put her hand up and said, "Shh. Not now." Parents then snapped back, "You don't talk to your elders like that."

Princesscreole started crying. She told my wife how scared she was.

Fucking great. Two games into her fastpitch life and this fucking shit happens. I can't even begin to explain how pissed off I am right now. 10-and-under recreational fastpitch softball ...

Should the coaches have let the 12-and-under players coach the bases? Probably not, but my goodness, it really isn't that big of a deal is it?

I can't believe that I have two more kids to go after this ...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Fracas at 10-and-under rec softball game. Princesscreole cries.

Sounds like a column to me....

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

you only cover us when we lose 10-0 and battle with one another!

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Kind of what I thought. Need to sleep on it though.

5. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

You realize, of course, that loss could cost one of those girls a college scholarship.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some of these parents and coaches really need to take a step back. Too many parents are trying to live vicariously through their kids ... or think playing for keeps, at this age, is more important, than continuing to develop their skills or, goodness knows, having a little fun. The coaches lose perspective, too.

I'm sorry, kingcreole. There are no winners here. If you're this concerned - and thank goodness you are - just offer your daughter some perspective and hope she understands that she and her teammates may be the most mature people on the field right now.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

You're right. I's not that big of a deal. You know why? One word: RECREATIONAL.

And, for a another: No other PARENT had the gumption to coach from the get-go. If they don't like under-12 players coaching the bases at a — and again, here's the word — RECREATIONAL game, they should have signed up to help during registration.

Otherwise, STFU.

8. Notepad

Notepad Member

brouhaha

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Sorry ... I have brews on my mind. I need a fucking drink.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oy. When did it all go wrong?

11. Notepad

Notepad Member

You should after that bullshit.
    Was there a decisive, pinpoint moment in history when youth sports went to shit?

I ask myself that all the time.

12. Re: Fracas at 10-and-under rec softball game. Princesscreole cries.

www.rivals.com
    www.scout.com

Draft saved Draft deleted