1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foxsports: Dungy stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jan 12, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In 2004 we've established he had the best team and didn't win it -- I'd say that is trumped by the fact that the next year he won it when he had at least the third and maybe fourth best team in the AFC.

Please tell me what other three years he had the best team in the NFL and did not win the title.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It doesn't help his cause that it took Gruden one year to do what he couldn't in Tampa.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Gruden showed what a decent offensive game plan could do with a great defense, and slightly above average offense. His playcalling against the Eagles in the '02 championship game was amazing.

4. zagoshe

Gruden also added some very important offensive weapons, particularly Keenan McCardle and Joe Jurevicious -- who helped take pressure off Keyshawn Johnson.

But that doesn't tie in to the story that Gruden was a genius -- the same genius who in his second year had the Bucs back to being the Bucs......

5. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Dungy would have had McCardell and Jurevicious blocking on running plays 90 percent of the time. The best thing that ever happened to Dungy was he went to a team with an established offense. He couldn't mess with Manning and Tom Moore.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Gruden mortgaged the future to win that Super Bowl. That's the biggest reason why the Bucs fell off the map for a couple years afterwards. Baltimore did something similar. Ask most owners if they'd sacrifice a couple seasons for a title and any good one would tell you yes.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know that Gruden could have rescued that hopeless franchise and brought it to the point that it was a failure because it couldn't get past the NFC championship. Before Dungy, the Bucs most of the time looked like they couldn't tie their shoes, much less play football. The key to that season was that Brad Johnson threw only six picks that year, after years of Shaun King, Trent Dilfer and Johnson himself undermining Tampa's D by turning the ball over.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

again, tony's by far the best person i've had the honor to get to know some in 26 years of covering the nfl. if he doesn't make the hall of fame, it's canton's loss.

but i don't think he really cares. it's far from what will define him.

9. zagoshe

So then what has been his excuse for the past five years?

That's a cop-out and bullshit.

Gruden's Bucs teams have been really good one year -- when it was still for the most part Dungy's team with a few additions.

Since then Gruden has steered the franchise into the crapper and there is no "big" seasons on the horizon.

I mean, you talk about Baltimore -- take a look at the revolving door of horse shit to mediocre quarterbacks this guy has brought in.

And my God -- all the guy had to do this year to make the playoffs was beat the freaking Oakland Raiders and he had them at home -- and he couldn't do it.

You ask any fan --- what is worse -- a run of five or six years of having a chance every year or the disaster that the Bucs have become -- in a crappy division no less.....

10. jojoblack

jojoblack Active Member

Apparently, it's a fact o' life: Gruden = genius; Dungy = overrated.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, here in Indy I sure as hell hope Jim Caldwell is equally overrated, with 12 wins for six consecutive seasons and a lucky Super Bowl.

I just don't get the Dungy criticism.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of coaches with rings are going to be sitting on the couch next season. I hope he comes back after recharging the batteries.

Draft saved Draft deleted