1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foxsports: Dungy stepping down

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Jan 12, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yes what a terrible thing to celebrate someone who broke ground or changed perceptions about what is and what is not possible.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Marino made his teams much better, every year.

3. I predict a 9000-word update on MMQB by 5 EST.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Manning's been on exactly one bad college or NFL team, so it's hard to see them being bad the next few seasons.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

That's my point -- by stepping away now he is leaving a team that Caldwell has a chance to win with.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That one good season is one more than 98 percent of the coaches and players who come through the NFL. Like in any sport, the NFL playoffs are about who gets hot as well as who is best. Unless you truly believed Philadelphia and Arizona were the two best teams coming out of the NFC this year.

Also, it's hard to remember now how hard it was for an African-American coach to get hired at the time Dungy stepped in with the Bucs and turned them around. I bet Mike Tomlin would tell you that without Dungy, no way does he coach the Steelers, and certainly not at age 35.

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

9000 word? More like 90,000 . Shit, he'll manage to spend 9,000 ripping Belichik.

8. I thought PK was a Belichick guy.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

my bad...I was thinking of Greg Esterbrook.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

An asinine statement. The guy averaged almost 11 wins per year in the regular season for his career (10.69 if you want to be precise). He took a Tampa team that hadn't finished above .500 in 15 years and took it to the playoffs four times in six years (and turned it into the team that eventually won the Super Bowl under Gruden).

The Colts had 11 10-win seasons in their history before Dungy arrived and he never won fewer than 10 in his seven seasons there. He has 85 wins in seven seasons in Indy. He also won one of the two Super Bowls in franchise history.

One good season? You've been listening to WEEI too much. That's sports radio talk, my friend.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think he's a guy that will just walk away from the game. Hasn't it been said for a while that there are other things he wants to accomplish in life other than just coach football? If he does have different pulls or interests this is a good time for him to move on to the next faze in his life.

To me it's not like, say Cowher, where he is just needing time to reset his batteries and then waiting for the perfect situation to come along. I think he is done.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree Dungy is an overrated coach. With the teams he coached he should have won a minimum of four rings.

Glazer has been kicking some serious ass this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted