1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOXSports: Altman backs out of Arkansas job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Probably not far from the truth. And he wouldn't have been the only coach to do that.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, they didn't have cell phones in Eddie Sutton's day.

3. GoZags!!

GoZags!! Member

Interesting story from Omaha paper: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3924&u_sid=2359360

One host asked why Altman had decided to leave now. Altman's reaction, according to Schaefer: "I don't know."

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Heard this afternoon that Heath left a shitstorm on the academic side. When Altman wanted to bring his own people in to clean it up and the Piggies said no, Altman couldn't head back to Omaha fast enough.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Altman says that a lot. He prefaces nearly every answer he gives with, "Oh, I don't know ..." It's his media defense mechanism.

But yeah, it was pretty clear he was not Pig Sooie material. If nothing else it was hiliarious to see the footage of his hog call. For someone who covers him often -- and knows his stiff-ish ways very well -- that was unintentional comedy at its best.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Bill Belichick thinks that's blamsphemy. ;)

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Some pretty juicy stuff about positive drug tests is also floating around. And that played a part in scaring Altman off as well.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Recreational or performance enhancing?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Aren't we going to argue which city has better weather, Fayettenam or Omaha? :)

They should hire Nolan back... I'm only sort of joking...

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

sort of?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The guy was a lunatic, but he was a good coach...

Is Jim Harrick available?

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Luckily for Altman, AD Bruce Rasmussen and him are good friends and Rasmussen was more than happy to bring him back. I knew from the start of this coaching carousel that he wasn't going to leave Omaha. He fucking owns that city. Going to Arkansas was unlike him to consider. Until he saw crazy ass Broyles do that Hog Call. Then Altman realized that he would have been better off at either Michigan, Iowa, or where he's comfortable at...in Omaha.

I don't think he ever wants to go someplace unless he knows he can win and develop his own system.

Barry Hinson, please don't pick up the white courtesy phone from Coach Broyles.

Draft saved Draft deleted