1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox's football broadcast quirks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Killick, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Conan O'Brien with hilarious take on "Cletus," the Fox sports robot that dances during their promos.

And while we're at it, can anyone tell me what the guys in the background are doing during the studio show? They're sitting at monitors with screens that never seem to change, never type anything, never move. Did Fox really hire guys just to sit in the background and LOOK like they're doing something?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wow, that's really funny.

Like that a lot, and yes, the stupid robot bugs me as well.

3. Cowboycane

Cowboycane Member

I've had the exact same response while listening to Troy Aikman.

4. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I used to loathe said robot, but after years and years -- really, how has it remained unchanged for so long? -- I now enjoy seeing what they make it do next. I liked how it jumped rope and did military pushups last week. At some point he's going to have to do yoga or something just to keep things fresh.

5. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I've always hated the robot, but here's something scary -- my kids (11 and 6) have never exhibited the least interest in televised sports, despite my profession and my unhealthy personal commitment to watching 6-8 hours of NFL action every Sunday. But if either one of them happens by the tube while that damn robot is on, he or she will go grab their sibling, bring them back into the room, and make me rewind so they can watch, transfixed, as the robot does his little thing.

And on Thanksgiving when it's a robot turkey? Utter pandemonium. So I have to give credit to Fox -- they know slobs like me are watching the game regardless of the bells and whistles, and they're at least trying to entice a broader audience. I'm just happy it gets those darn kids of mine to put down the books, and musical instruments, and social interaction with friends to spend a few minutes tubed out with me.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Hate the robot; my kid loves it. Sounds like a trend.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

Robot vs. Terminator last Super Bowl was cool.

The fact that Fox actually has the robot doing different things every week is a big improvement.

Draft saved Draft deleted