1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOX Turns 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Let's not forget that it was relatively easier for Fox to do all this because it wasn't - and still isn't - a 'network' like the other 3.

It's 3 hours of prime time programming 5 nights a week. No mornings. No late night. News is a separate cable entity. Sports is separate, and intrudes on the platform only when in season.

Sort of a network, sort of not a network.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

FOX LIES! [CUBT]

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually, only 2 hours on weeknights. FOX affiliates do their local news at 10 ET instead of 11.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's right. Even easier.

5. 10 Best Fox Shows (In no real particular order; feel free to debate):
    1. The Simpsons
    2. 24
    3. 90210
    4. American Idol
    5. Cops
    6. X-Files
    7. In Living Color
    8. House
    9. Married With Children
    10. Family Guy

...and Gillian Anderson is still effin hot.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

How the hell was George C. Scott ever persuaded to do a TV series? I remember the first season having a romcom called Duets. Not ever sure it lasted more than one season. And someone mentioned Whoops earlier. I watched it because it had the guy who made the Mason Capwell character on Santa Barbara famous. Whatta bomb; killed Lane Davies' career. And there was some horrible, short-lived series that had the Fonz as a Rush Limbaugh-type radio guy. Not to mention that craptastic series with Brad Garrett and Joely Fisher that somehow lasted 3-4 seasons.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

25 years of pandering to the stoopidest of the mouthbreathers of American society, in keeping with Rupert's marketing strategy worldwide.

The house network of several generations of Kleenex-fisted 13-year-old masturbators.

8. Key

Key Well-Known Member

In Living Color was a favorite of mine, but it's incredible how poorly it holds up. Plus, at the time I didn't realize how much they trotted out the same characters over and over and over - Homie the Clown, Fire Marshall Bill, Men on..., etc.

I think 90s era SNL holds up much better IMO.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Any list without Arrested Development is quite lacking.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

And Fox does have programming seven nights a week. It's the CW that only does five. And I don't think the CW would bother with Friday nights if it didn't have to.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Homer last night: "The best thing about Fox is there's only two hours of crap every night instead of three!"

I loved how The Simpsons mocked Fox for emphasizing Family Guy over it. Bart bitches how the family has been on Fox longer than anyone yet has the table by the restrooms and kitchen.

Fox is complete shit, and the irony is their news network appeals to bible thumping morons while their prime time network made it cool to air offensive stuff in prime time, but it's accidentally put on some pretty damn good shows.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd say Fox goes where the money is, where there is opportunity. If Murdoch didn't create a right-skewing cable news network, someone else would have. Same goes for the broadcast network.
    It doesn't matter if your money comes from high-brow Emmy winners or low-rent reality garbage - it spends the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted