1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FOX Turns 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Obviously, Idol got more than its share of time... X-Factor got quite a bit as well...

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look at Murdoch's newspapers here and especially in Britain. Modeled the same way. Tells you everything you need to know. Rupert's got both ends of the spectrum covered in the same package.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!!!!

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Respectfully disagree, Care. Fox has aired a ton more trash than the Big Three and CW ever have, especially in its early years. The network seems to have grown up, though.

The network still has an image issue. There are times I look at a show and go "Wow... great premise... great cast... how the hell did it end up on Fox?" lol

Still, for a network that gave us 24, can't be all bad.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think that in honor of the anniversary The Simpons should do an episode with the characters having aged 25 years.

What's a mid-30s Bart Simpson doing today?

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Bart's a slacker. Lisa's doing something brilliant. Homer is fatter and dumber. Marge maintains well. And Maggie apparently talks an awful lot, but someone always keeps her from speaking on camera.

At least that's way all the other future Simpsons episodes go.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Great reminder of how great In Living Color was in its day. It completely stole SNL's mojo, and SNL has only recovered to the point where it's 35 minutes of funny in a 90-minute package, rather than the 20 minutes it was for much of the 1990s.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Did they do more than one?

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Four, I think. There was Lisa's wedding, an episode where Bart lived in Springfield Elementary after it was turned into cheap apartments, one where Lisa was president of the United States and Bart was living with Ralph, and one that had a cameo from Bender. They all followed the same gameplan.

EDIT: Simpsons wiki confirms: http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Episodes_Set_In_The_Future

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Respectfully disagree, Care. Fox has aired a ton more trash than the Big Three and CW ever have, especially in its early years. The network seems to
    have grown up, though.

The network still has an image issue. There are times I look at a show and go "Wow... great premise... great cast... how the hell did it end up on Fox?" lol

Still, for a network that gave us 24, can't be all bad.
    [/quote]

Oh, I agree that Fox aired an awesome amount of shit in the early days, but I think it's pretty much on par with the other networks these days. It was/is the number one network in prime for the big demos for a few years running... (not sure if it still is)

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Murdoch has always been smart enough to go where others didn't - he understands that there is money to be made going downmarket (Temptation Island, Lie Detector, Joe Millionaire), or younger. Fox saw the TV audience fragmenting before the big three and grabbed for the audience most advertiser friendly.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No mention yet of Ally McBeal or Boston Public?

Still remember when Fox got the NFC, all the speculation was is Bart Simpson would be in the booth. Then they put up the score box and it was revolutionary!

Draft saved Draft deleted