1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports One

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BenPoquette, Aug 20, 2013.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yes. They take over all of SPEED's programming (so basically NASCAR Truck races). Their plan was to show college hoops, and add another college football game to the FOX Sports network of games (Big 12, Pac 10, whatever else). But the intent is primarily to compete against ESPN's Sportscenter, so who knows how much live sports they will actually show. I think they also said they'd show some NASCAR Sprint Cup races in 2015.

Who know what it will be.

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The only time I check out SportsCenter or the other ESPN shows if they they come on after I game I'm already watching. I don't know what draws other people, but for me, it was the games. Some college hoops or football will make me significantly more likely to check out whatever else they're doing.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Fox has announced that Fox Sports 1 will air the following College football games:

Thursday, August 29: Utah State at Utah
    Friday, August 30: North Dakota State at K-State
    Saturday, August 31; William & Mary at West Virginia; Nicholls State at Oregon
    Thursday, September 5 Florida Atlantic at East Carolina
    Saturday, September 7 Oklahoma State at UTSA; Louisiana-Lafayette at K-State; Washington State at USC
    Thursday, September 12 Tulane at LA Tech
    Saturday, September 14 Virginia Tech at East Carolina; Iowa at Iowa State; Oregon State at Utah

I haven't found their complete list yet. I'm sure it's out there. But at least we know they will show live football in a few days.

EDIT: Looks like they will show most of the Thursday games contracted to Fox. That included the great North Texas vs. Rice matchup Oct. 31 and a few yawners like Oklahoma vs. Baylor Nov. 7, Texas Tech vs. Texas Nov. 28 and Arizona vs. USC Oct. 10. There's also a couple others that could turn out to be decent games between marginal teams.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

On my cable, FS1 is XX2, and FS2 is XX1
    So, for example, FS1 is 492 and FS2 is 491.

Seems logical to switch that around, but I guess logical costs extra.

And I really don't care, but it's a good reason to bitch about local cable.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If you have a chance, tune in to that USU-Utah game. Chuckie Keaton is starting his third season at QB for Utah State -- one of the best QBs in the land. A thriller.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the game last year where the fans rushed the field prematurely and gave the other team a chance to kick a game-winning FG?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here's a link to a good site for college football tv schedule. I've been using the past few years and
    found it very helpful and accurate:

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I think the storming you're talking about was Utah-BYU.

Anyway, Utah State is building up much in the way Boise did. Boise and Oregon State have played for several years. The Broncos went to Georgia and got smacked 48-13 in 2005 -- but it's also the season they Statue of Liberty'd Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. And they've been one of the elite programs ever since.

Two years ago, Utah State lost 42-38 at Auburn (great game). Last year USU lost 16-14 at Wisconsin so the Aggies are getting closer. Going on the road to play at AQ powers isn't such a big deal.

Gary Andersen left to coach Wisconsin so you never know how a program will move forward with a new head coach -- although Boise actually took the next step up when Peterson was elevated in '05.

Last year Utah State went 11-2. This year the Aggies return a Heisman-caliber QB and veteran o-line, and the defense is strong.

Don't be surprised if Utah State becomes this year's Northern Illinois, but better.

They'll probably call the Sept. 21 game at USC "the biggest game in school history" ...

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

They moved what was Speed from channel 607 to channel 219 on DirectTV with just about zero advance notice. On Friday, 219 was Mav TV, which I didn't have saved as a favorite, so when the switch was made, I had no idea what channel it was on until a promo banner appeared on my guide screen. And that didn't appear until after noon on Saturday. The online guide and TV Guide.com both still had FS1 on 607.

To this point, I've probably watched a total of an hour of FS1. I've actually watched more on FS2 and that was because Aussie Rules Football was on late night Saturday night.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Co-anchor Jay Onrait has already started a feud with someone claiming (on Twitter) to be the guy who played Skippy on "Family Ties." I'm sure that was high on Jay's to-do list when he and Dan decided to take these jobs.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Onrait will be back wearing a bathrobe on next year's NHL trade deadline monstrosity on TSN.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think FS Live is deliberately attempting to go back to that point in the mid-90s when Sportscenter was zany but still showed highlights of non-Tebow, non-NY teams. Back when Kenny Mayne did stuff like "I am king of the diamond!"

Anyway, Onrait's way over the top (just wait until hockey season starts and turn your TV down if the Blue Jackets goalie ever appears on screen), but I find him enjoyable. O'Toole plays the straight man, but neither of them take themselves that seriously. One of the best little jokes in TSN's infamous "Hangover" sketch last year was when they all laugh hysterically about O'Toole having to do the serious show in an emergency. I like it, but I can totally see people hating it too.

Draft saved Draft deleted