1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports' Jen Floyd Engel: Manziel is the new Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 9, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think she is just aiming at the "persecuted white people" market segment, which has proved for Fox to be a large and profitable segment. In addition to the horrendous and clueless Rosa Parks comparison and the Riley Cooper tweet I noted above, there was this from her airport travels:

Jennifer Floyd Engel ‏@engeljen 5 Aug
    Just had that frustrating airport experience where 4oz hair spray confiscated in name of safety. Reminder to fight 2nd amendment infringers

Rules are rules, but only for some people I guess. It does make me wonder if she actually believes the shit she writes or if she's just going for the insincere O'Reilly huckster angle. There is gold in that, after all.

2. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

Gregg, your experiences have obviously been different than mine and the people I know that know her well, all of whom have worked with her. Doesn't make me a jerk, just means I have a different take.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's one thing to disparage a column or even a body of work. It's another to call someone a bad person while behind the veil of Internet anonymity, particularly when that person cannot defend herself likewise.

There was no reason to make it personal, and your decision to leads me to believe you're "just not a nice person," either.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They are both underpaid workers. Clowney is a better example than Manziel because Clowney's family might not have that much financially and might actually need money now for things other than rims.

5. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Yeah, I see what she's saying.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We're with you, Mssrs. Manziel and Clowney, our oppressed brothers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, if they don't like it, Canada has fields to pick, beds to make and fries to sell as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...where credit is due. Good one.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Everybody sing!

"Ah ha hush that fuss..."
    "Move Johnny Football to the back of the bus.."

10. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Does this bus have rims? If not, JFF is going to pass.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

1) I find nothing really wrong with the quasi-analogy. She's not trying to write about Manziel or Parks, rather how big changes can result from small nudges.

2a) I find it not at all astounding that JFEngel has a scattershot history of inconsistency in such matters, because ...

2b) She's really a bad columnist (APSE awards and all).

I was a daily columnist for awhile (at a much smaller paper). I was bad at it, which is why I was a columnist for only a short time. She is worse than I was. And her husband (I assume ... Mac Engel at the FW Star-Telegram) is equally bad.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He does seem to make the club get crunk.

Draft saved Draft deleted