1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports' Jen Floyd Engel: Manziel is the new Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 9, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Probably a better comparison, but won't get you as many web hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Lee_Sutton

If any player was to sit down on the field for a few plays to make a statement, Jadeveon Clowney would probably get more public sympathy than Johnny Drinksalot.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If she's doing that, she's even more wrong. The shift in how NCAA athletes should be compensated is far from a social movement. It affects very few people and almost no one is fighting for it.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It frustrates but doesn't surprise me. Why hire a talented writer when an untalented but controversial writer will get you the page views you want?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

An earlier tweet from her:

Riley Cooper may never escape racist outburst but almost impossible to fake contrition he's showing. Possible he starts needed race convo.
    12:44pm - 6 Aug 13

So now we have Riley Cooper and Johnny Manziel as the agents of change toward an enlightened society.

This is a writer with less than zero perspective and balance.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Mizzou: Agree that Curt Flood is a better analogy than Rosa Parks.

Also, as is pointed out on The Big Lead, the "tipping point" for Civil Rights probably happened in 1964 when the 3 white civil rights advocates were murdered in Mississippi. That got the attention of "white America." In the retrospect of history, Rosa Parks is credited with starting the movement but at the time she sat down on the bus, it didn't create the outcry that the dead civil rights workers created.

And totally agree with others: Floyd's column needed a heavy duty filter - editor(s) - to save her from herself.

6. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

At least Whitlock invoked race in a way that wasn't nonsensical. A much better column.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/whitlock-johnny-manziel-heisman-ncaa-game-changer-texas-am-aggies-autograph-scandal-080713

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How is she a better comparison? Johnny Manziel was not trying to organize the student-athlete proletariat or make a statement. He was trying to buy rims.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Which brings up a question that I heard: why didn't Johnny get his old man to buy the rims when he got the car in the first damn place?

It would have made perfect sense.

9. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

She is completely unqualified for her job. It sickens me to see people like her have that kind of platform. And, I might add, she's a total jerk, too. Know several people who know her and she is just not a nice person and doesn't care.

10. greggdoyel

greggdoyel Member

Enough's enough. She's unqualified for her job? She just won the APSE column-writing contest for the biggest circulation group. You know people who know her? You don't know me, and I think she's fabulous. Sweetheart of a person. Go away, jerk.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Or Big Boy Gregg will challenge you to a fistfight.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure many national columnists are qualified to be really good national columnists. Wetzel's out in front.

Engel won the APSE for best columnist for 2012, incidentally. So someone thought she was good.

Draft saved Draft deleted