1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports' Jen Floyd Engel: Manziel is the new Rosa Parks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Mentioned this on the Manziel autograph thread, but figured it deserved its own.

She offers a disclaimer (albeit a weak one), but she still invokes "Rosa Parks" and Johnny Manziel" in close proximity. And as Deadspin points out, Engel is the same person who once called Tyrelle Pryor a "terrorist."

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

To quote a popular text acronym among the kids: SMH.
  3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And I will say the same thing I said on the other thread:

Jen Engel is dreck.

That is all.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Perfectly reasonable column.
  5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Back of the bus = Not being able to sell your autograph

I don't hate her argument in the rest of the column, but after a comparison like that, her credibility immediately becomes zero.
  6. Dick Whitman

But that's not what she says.

The point is that social movements frequently have a tipping point.

Parks is a tipping point that people are very familiar with.

I know from through the years that you hate columns that even invoke something like that. Which is fair. But I don't think she's arguing a one-to-one comparison at all. I'd have to go back and read it, but I'm sure that in "The Tipping Point," Malcolm Gladwell uses a lot of seemingly disparate examples - some trivial, some fraught with significance - as illustrations of the same general concept. That's all Floyd is doing.
  7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dick: Did you read the Deadspin column? Where they used her own words to prove how much her opinion has changed with NO reference to how she used to feel?
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It could be the greatest column of all-time, but when a spoiled brat QB is compared to a historical icon, I check out.
  9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, and that's certainly worthy of criticism, "Daily Show"-style.

But - standing alone - the analogy is fine. I don't find it offensive. I get where Mizzou is coming from, though. It can be counter-productive to even toss the two names in the same word neighborhood.
  10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I mean, even with her qualifier, it's a horrible comparison.

"Bill Clinton is like Hitler. Not in the horrible, murderous tyrant way, but in the compelling way he speaks and inspires others to follow him."

There are just some things that qualifiers can't fix. And "Johnny Manziel getting money for his autograph is similar in ANY WAY to Rosa Parks being arrested for refusing to give up her seat" is one of those things.
  11. Dick Whitman

But that's not even what she's saying. She's talking about how social movements get started in general. Or, rather, how they finally stick. That it's frequently unlikely people who end up changing things.

And I have no huge issue even with the Clinton sentence. I'm not easily offended by thought experiments.
  12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The lede would have been my jumping-off point.
Draft saved Draft deleted