1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports is awful

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Nov 2, 2010.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

This is very likely on the World Series thread but I don't have time to wade when I need to rant.

I haven't watched much of Fox's broadcast of the World Series this year, but last night, for Game 5, I took it in.

And the producer who comes up with the in game factoids and the on screen graphics needs to get back to football or some other line of work.

For Joe Buck, of all people, to say that baseball didn't have a team west of the Mississippi in 1954 and Tim McCarver, who has deep St. Louis roots, to go along in agreement. I was just dumbfounded.

Really Joe "it depends on the spot" Buck? Really?!? 1954 was when your dad got the job in St. Louis and a team had already been there for going on six decades.

Pathetic.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Semantics. Being on the Mississippi, which it is for all intents and purposes, removes St. Louis from the equation as far as I'm concerned.

This is hardly something Joe Buck made up, the term "no teams West of the Mississippi" has been used for years regarding pre-expansion baseball. There are plenty of things to get on Buck about. This really isn't one of them, it's hating Buck for the sake of hating Buck.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's like everyone writing that Vin Scully does not do Dodgers road games east of the Rockies. Except he does do games in Denver.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The line could have been no team west of St. Louis or no teams on the Pacific Coast or any other of several things. But the line last night just bugged me.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pretty much everything in the Fox media empire is run off of Murdoch's British-tabloids template: pandering to the drooling slobbering lowest-common intellectual denominator.

Media for an audience of horny 11-year-old boys. See the jumping dancing robot on the NFL broadcasts. Coooooool.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You must not have watched the work of TBS then.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

That graphic stood out to me as well. And it's easily correctable ... "no team west of St. Louis in 1954"

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you're going to deal with facts, make sure those facts are accurate.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It all went downhill when they canceled Best Damn.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'll say one thing about Fox Sports-- Fox Sports.com is a great web site with a great stable of columnists.

11. Is it possible to go downhill from subterranean?

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The After Party with Jay Glazer.

Draft saved Draft deleted