1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports edgy columnist (Whitlock) - goes over the edge.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There are far too many ridiculous assumptions in this column. Just painful.

Are you kidding me? You seriously believe that, Jason? Bigger than Tiger, MJ and Rosa Parks?
    No. Just ... no.

So that I think Serena isn't automatically the greatest women's tennis player ever means I only want to see women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen? Well, I guess that saves me a trip to the shrink. Thanks, Jason.

Again, no.

This statement must operate under the opinion that Serena at her best would always beat Venus at her best. I'm not sure I agree.

Just a whole lot of absurdity.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus.

I'm just now catching up to all this good stuff. Awesome.

For the record, Gutenburg, this is, um, my real name. And I've never covered an American Legion game, not that there's anything wrong with it. Not sure where that came from.

You keep stroking your fragile little ego with those APSEs, brotha!

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

Wow. Just wow.

This guy would need three promotions to be an asshole.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The first thing I thought about when I read the column, which I happen to think is a pile of crap, was what whitlock would do if a white columnist wrote a column that so ripped into a great african-american female athlete, because of how her body looks, the way he did.
    I commend both Williams sisters because, as SC said, they've been great players and they have their own separate lives with meaningful pursuits off the court.

5. JackReacher

I think if Serena was the 30th ranked player in the world, the column might have a SLIGHT bit of merit.

But you're right, ID. And that's a damn good point. What's his reaction if Lupica writes this column? Or any other white columnist?

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I
    I couldn't agree more, Ryan. If any white guy had said this, Whitlock would be off to the races to ride to Serena's defense. He's apparently concluded that he's jumped the shark, so he's decided to join Mariotti in the "throw a bunch of crap at the wall and see what sticks" league of sportswriters.

Oh, and by the way, Whitlock: BBW stands for "Big Beautiful Woman," not "Big Booty Woman." :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Yes. Sonner is no twerp. He's a debacle.

Have people not been paying attention?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a golf fan, but reading this made me think of Lefty. Didn't people dog him for not working harder and not obsessing about winning majors? I always thought he came across as a guy with some balance and perspective, who was doing precisely as he wanted with his life and loved ones. Good for Ms. Williams for doing the same. Whitlock? Whatever, dude.

9. JackReacher

You're damn lucky I'm in love with your avatar. Otherwise.....well, it'd be ON! :)

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Now that would be a debacle, you twerp.

11. Well this thread has pretty much been debacled!

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

You're a fucking stud.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.