1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports edgy columnist (Whitlock) - goes over the edge.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Congrats Jason. You got the shock and edge down.

In summation:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/9757816/Serena-could-be-the-best-ever,-but-

Here is my problem with this - aside from just being mean in the interest of being edgy:
    A previous Whitlock column (in which he takes a cheap shot at Ali) chides Jim Brown for expecting Tiger Woods to be a better spokesman for social change.

So it's OK for Tiger and Michael Jordan to be who they are, but it is not OK for Serena to be who she is 'cause she's fat?
    Nevermind she's won how many majors?
    Why not take someone to task like Danica Partrick, Nat. Gulbis or Andy Roddick or Anna Kornakova (sp?) - you know someone who whose not won shit but get attention based more on looks than abilty.

I think this is a little hypocritical.. OK more than a little.

Thoughts?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I think I'd sub in James Blake for Roddick, who has won a slam and was ranked No. 1 in the world.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Jason Whitlock is one to comment on somebody having a big butt.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

(A stuffed onion is a booty so round and tight that it brings tears to your eyes).

I'm not a Whitlock fan by any means, but that's fucking funny.

Also curious to know how the previous column cheap-shots Ali. I read the column......hopefully you're not saying it's a cheap shot simply because it doesn't treat Ali with blind reverence and awe.

5. You know, last time I checked I think Arthur Ashe won all of three Grand Slam titles, yet he managed to be a leader of social change years before he got sick. I don't think you have to win everything to get the platform Whitlock is talking about.

In fact, I'd argue the opposite, that what makes Serena great is that she has a life outside of tennis. She designs clothes, she works with various charities. She's educated. She is proof that you can have it all (and I loved her T-shirt at the postmatch presser "are you looking at my titles"). Whitlock is just being Whitlock here.

6. "Jim Brown is the most important athlete in American history. Everything we foolishly credit Muhammad Ali for standing for Jim Brown actually did and does. The reverence we shower on the self-serving, draft-dodging, Joe Frazier-is-a-monkey Muhammad Ali more appropriately belongs at Jim Brown's feet."

I think it is a cheap shot to call Ali a self-serving draft-dodger.
    Yes he refused to go to Vietnam, but I don't recall him running to Canada. Nor away from the U.S. Court system, which unfairly crucifiied him for his stance against an unpopular war.

And pop quiz: Only one of these two men has ever been accused of battering women - Ali or Jim Brown?
    Yeah, great fucking role model that Jim Brown.

Not pissed or anything at you Double J... I just don't think of Brown as that underappreciated.

And I never thought of James Blake as that good, compared to Roddick who is arguably the best male American tennis player we have right now. But he has only one major, which was on his home soil.
    But he has done a lot more than other names I listed.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't take issue with you, Orv, you make some good points. I also wouldn't excuse Jim Brown's behaviour toward women, nor would I say he's underappreciated.....it's just that sometimes I think people tend to overlook Ali's flaws and his past negative behaviour. It's like he's this sacred cow that no one should ever criticize, to which I say bullshit.

Ali showed up at Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final wearing a Detroit Red Wings jersey. All well and good if he happens to be a Wings fan, or maybe he felt like he had to wear it because it was in Detroit and he was a guest of the team. But if I had been a Pittsburgh Penguins player, no way would I have joined in the on-ice celebration after he was introduced......players tapping their sticks on the ice. Fuck that. I'd have taken a slap shot at his head. Float like a butterfly away from that one, motherfucker.

8. So the guy can root for a team? Or show any favoritism? He's not a ambassador for hockey?
    And the final was IN Detroit. They would have probably booed him if wore a Pens jersey.

Ali has his flaws, no denying that... He is not above the criticism. I just don't think his fight with the Vietnam War is fair.
    I hold Ali in much higher regard than Brown.

9. it was a good column. He's not chiding her for being fat, he's chiding her work ethic, and the fact that she has all of this potential, and isn't realizing it. I don't know whether or not the criticism is fair, because I don't know her work ethic. But she does ooze talent, and if she stays in shape, she could, in fact, absolutely dominate women's tennis. I think that's what he's trying to say.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

It was typical Whitlock bullshit.

11. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Serena just won Wimbledon AGAIN and there's something wrong with her work ethic? Very poor timing on Whitjoke's part.

Speaking of overweight folks, seeing Whitjoke in a press box is not a good sight.

He's as large as a landfill and smells like one too.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So under this brilliant theory, writers shouldn't be critical of athletes unless they've been just as good an athlete? Whitlock can't call someone else fat if he's fat? A writer can't rip an NBA player for missing big free throws unless the writer himself has hit free throws just as important.

Nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.