1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports cuts web writing staff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Jun 26, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I never want to hear about anyone losing their job, and of all the sports they do, NASCAR is the only one where IMO Fox is halfway competent, but I have never read a word on their website. Never.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You can monetize video.

Can't give away free content

4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that the people who run Fox Sports and Fox Sports dot com are the biggest bunch of garbage people in a business full of garbage people. Fuck them.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What does this mean? Why are newspapers so smitten with video right now? It's not like TV is doing very well and they are in the business of actual well produced video not the crap on newspaper websites.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You spelled CNN wrong.

Joe Williams and Vombatus like this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You can monetize free content. I read free stuff every week on sports sites that is "sponsored by xxxx." Maybe it's not a windfall, but it's something.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I have a hunch why Fox went that way. My shop, a 175K-plus outlet, is getting a ton of interest for sponsorship for the annoying ad content on our site. I believe we're actually sold out right now.

9. AD

AD Active Member

Here's one big problem, perhaps the main one: everybody HATES ads on the web. in print? see an ad, turn the page: remain calm. vogue magazine, in particular, is valued by readers BECAUSE of its ads. i'd say the same of vanity fair, somewhat.

But online? everybody is jabbing at that X in the corner as soon as an ad appears, annoyed, feeling put upon. what advertiser wants a buyer to be pissed off at the sight of their product? and when it comes to stickiness -- how/if the brand stays in one's head after exposure -- i'm under the impression the power of online ads is still in debate.

to me, that combination explains why online ad revenue is far lower than that of print. you might be able to count engagement better online, but if how much more of it is negative?

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Why even give readers the option of an X on on an ad? I frankly see no problem with making people sit through an ad before devouring content. Radio has always done it. TV too. Podcasts do it. Howard Stern does it. Good content should not be free.

11. AD

AD Active Member

good point...but, then, the handling of content online has always been 'reader-friendly' -- to the extent, essentially, of publishers pulling out their wallets and saying, 'can you rob me, please?' simply put: editorial has been let down by the business side for two decades now....

12. nickp

nickp Active Member

Not much talent required for video rather see true journalism in action! Getting rid of tom jensen

Draft saved Draft deleted