1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox out of BCS bidding war

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

According to the AP article on ESPN.com ...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3709030

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The Fox announcers stink on the BCS games. I don't even know who half of those guys are.

Other than that, I couldn't care less.

3. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

If the election hadn't happened, this would be the best news I've heard in months.

Thom Brennaman calling Georgia "Florida" during last year's Sugar Bowl is all you need to know about the quality of product.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I agree. This is good news for college football. The Fox coverage always comes off as an obligation, as slumming, as "Oh, yeah, we've got a contract, so we'd better do something on this and then get right back to our pro sports."

And it's always bad.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Like ESPN is going to be any better?
    We'll probably get shithead Berman on every freaking game...with Stuey hosting the studio show

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My guess is those guys will still be wrapped up in the NFL at that time. My fear is that the lead studio show will consist of Dr. Lou and Mark May. Ugh. I'd imagine the GameDay crew will log some serious miles that week, though.

But the announcers will be an obvious upgrade.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe by then Holtz will stoop to using 9/11 references in his broadcasts.

Oh wait, Nick Satan already beat him to it.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Yeah, it probably will. They may be starfucky as all get out, but they at least put some effort into the production. FOX thought the BCS was a tool to advertise Jumper, nothing more.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ron Franklin has been the voice of nationally televised college football for me since I started watching well before there was a Thursday night game. He should be allowed to call a BCS champsionship game. Problem is we'll probably get Drunkberger.

10. chester

chester Member

Amen to that. What has happened to Ron Franklin is amazing. Four or five years ago, he was - second to Keith Jackson (albeit, Jackson was slipping) - the voice of college football.

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

One of the bizarre aspects of college football is how networks that show virtually no games in the fall (i.e., Fox nowadays, NBC in the '80s) end up showing the biggest games in January. I realize those guys must have written the biggest checks, but is it really worth it when you're putting a subpar broadcast on the air?

(OK, the answer is yes. But it still bugs me.)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

All because he said what everyone else in America was thinking...

Draft saved Draft deleted