1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News To Blame For .......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

As was noted the last time you tried to make this point, that isn't really what Clinton said in that interview. He was making a larger point about 1. The deregulation of mass media under Reagan being a bad thing we're still paying for; 2. the diffusion of media consumption in general.

The quotation:

I also think that the diffusion of the media has complicated things. For example, I was just watching — I don't know if you heard what I said in the other room — I was just watching MSNBC, and they had a woman that used to work for me and a couple of other people on there, and they were talking about the Republican primary. And I was laughing. I said, "Boy, it really has become our version of Fox." And I say that because think of the economics of running cable channels. Suppose you and I bought a cable channel, and he [pointing] bought another. You know that to make a living out of it, you've got to get about eight hundred thousand viewers for all your major programs. So you can get eight hundred thousand, and you won't be as wealthy as Fox, but you'll do okay. And now if you get a slice that's that small and still viable — and you know it's not like when we just had NBC, CBS, and ABC. That's all there was. Everybody had enough market share that they knew would guarantee some comfortable level of profit. And yet there was enough competition that everybody could keep each other honest, and when the Vietnam War came along, they could send fifty-five-year-old reporters to Vietnam for extended stays. They could afford to have correspondents in Europe to report. Correspondents in Asia. All that's changed now. And so the good news is you can get a lot of information off the Internet for free and in a hurry. But I think the breaking up of the media, which is otherwise kind of healthy, has contributed to less actual reporting and a louder, more contentious, more divisive public discourse, highlighting conflict, sometimes falsely.

2. joe

joe Active Member

You really have to stop doing that. Or bring along the Rosetta Stone so that shit can be deciphered.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He has only so many characters in him before he turns into a pumpkin

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You meant to say HHOSMCIHBHTIAP.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think you just revealed the Davinci Code

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Sjdfvedhrowwtyaxnfkvssl.