1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News To Blame For .......

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Arguments about race aside, the next president who doesn't believe at least some in the media are trying to run him down will be the first one.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sort of hard to deny Fox/News Corp has advanced with great vigor the 'Obama as Foreign Muslim' thing.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Joking aside, it's hard to argue that Fox News isn't an effective propaganda machine. Among people I went to college with, who are largely conservative, probably 75 percent-25 percent or so, talking points have crystallized over the decade-plus since we walked off campus. And I think Fox News is largely to blame/credit.

And, yes, Bill Maher and Jon Stewart do the same with liberals. Just not on as wide of a scale.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maher and Stewart are comics, so more analogous to Limbaugh.

There is no analog to Fox News on the left.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I watch the first hour of Fox and Friends each morning. If there's election coverage, I'll usually watch Fox. Other than election coverage, the only other time I watch it is if someone really good (usually Jon Stewart) is on O'Reilly.

I never miss The Daily Show or Maher's show.

I don't think any of them have any impact on my political views.

6. Mizzougrad96

Bill Clinton disagrees and said so in his Esquire interview where he essentially said that MSNBC is just as much for the democrats as Fox is for republicans.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I wish the right-wing propagandists were funnier.

8. Dick Whitman

But, Mizzou, you are an educated critical thinker. The people I went to college with, along with high school classmates who post Fox News talking points on Facebook and such, are not. I think it's depressing to consider how lacking in critical, independent thinking a lot of Americans are. And it's gotten worse, I bet, as this media age provides them with ideological shelters on cable and the Internet. Even on this message board, probably among the most thoughtful corners of the Web, groupthink can take over to an alarming degree on some topics.

9. Dick Whitman

I think Rachel Maddow is that way for sure. I think she's largely an analogue to O'Reilly. And Schultz, for sure, although, as Drew Magary wrote on GQ recently, nobody watches him.

Maddow brandishes her Stanford degree and haughty, psuedo-reasonable persona and I think it insulates her from some of the blowback she probably deserves for oversimplifying things.

Taibbi isn't on TV, but I think he's in that destructive liberal media ghetto, too.

I think Scarborough saves MSNBC to a degree.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fox News' audience is much larger. Much. And MSNBC's attempt to become a cable 'Air America' is a relatively recent development, and largely ineffective - Maddow being the one exception now that Olberman is gone.

Let's also not confuse "Democratic Party" with anything like "the Left."

Fox News was designed by Roger Ailes from its origins to be the house network and propaganda arm of the Republican party.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't watch ANY news on television. I don't listen to the news on the radio, either, unless I happen to be riding with my wife and she has it tuned to NPR. If it's not in my morning newspaper, or it's not "published" online by what I consider a reputable media entity -- e.g., WashPo, NYT, CNN, The Atlantic, National Review, etc. -- it doesn't register with me.

Guess I'm just another one of those anti-intellectual, knuckle-dragging conservatives ...

12. Mizzougrad96

So is that the MSNBC defense? Well nobody actually watches... :D

I used to watch when Imus was on and I would occasionally watch Keith when he was on.

Draft saved Draft deleted