1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News: Palm Trees in Madison, WI

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Mar 2, 2011.

1. This is exactly what I had been assuming for years.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

BTW, forgot to mention one key perk to working with cheapo interns that my friend talked about: The interns were almost always hot blondes with great racks.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

See, but when you put aside the nonsensical, "liberal" or "conservative" stuff, which really just amounts to people rooting for mythical teams, it still makes Fox News a joke. Whether it is for putting it on the air with no idealogical reason or because they allow inexperienced kids to control what gets on the air.

4. This is exactly what I fantasized about for years.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You'd think if that were true, though, that there'd be a bit more, pardon the word choice, balance in the mistakes. Though I suppose it's possible that the mistakes that provide evidence of their bias would attract more attention.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For what it's worth...

I've worked in TV for a long time. There's little doubt in my mind that the typical Fox "accident" -- the Larry Craig, (D) Idaho type stuff -- really is a mistake. That's the result of a writer or graphics operator making $6.50 an hour that doesn't know and probably doesn't care. I had a writer who identified our governor as a Republican, and when she was told the governor is a Democrat she said "Oops! Guessed wrong!" And that's in a top 15 market.

This one, though? This makes no sense as an accident. If it was a $6.50 an hour editor cutting the video and editing the wrong stuff, that editor is going to cut video of this week's Wisconsin protest, because that's the easiest and most obvious video for that spot. Someone made the intentional call to use union guys throwing punches. That either came from the reporter or producer, and either way, that person knew exactly what they were doing.

The lower-level employees aren't driven by the company agenda -- but the producers, reporters and anchors are. A friend was once an up-and-coming bureau chief for Fox. He quit because he was tired of tailoring his reporting to match the orders in the daily management memo. And, for the record, he is a staunch Republican who found the operation incredibly chickenshit.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I just want to know: Does this mean global warming isn't a hoax?

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This. I'm not a Fox fan, but I'm trying to be open minded about this particular instance. And for the life I me, I have a hard time imagining a scenario where you "accidentally" do something that is so wrong, but matches in convenient ways. It wasn't like they, by mistake, showed footage of a Panda in a zoo in China. No, they "by mistake" found footage of a protest ... just the wrong protest.

It could be an innocent mistake, BUT...

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not.

This bullshit false equivalence is preposterous.

Fox does not deserve the "presumption of innocence." They have pulled this shit again and again and again and again.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me 327 times, I must be a goddamn idiot.

There is no need to "try to be open-minded about it."

Fox is nothing more or less than a full-throttle propaganda outlet.

FOX LIES.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yet, those who follow Faux News don't care -- like my parents in Minnesota who say Wisconsin's problems are the unions' fault

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Was that the 1992 Los Angeles Riots? Are they going to interview Rodney King tomorrow night about collective bargaining?

12. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

There seemed to be a wipe in the video (28 secs or so)...indicating that someone caught the error mid-play and switched video from the violent stuff to a guy in a hat.

Anyone else see this?

Draft saved Draft deleted