1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News outs Bin Laden raid author

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because it's Fox News or because it's bin Laden?

What if the L.A. Times had been the one to break the story? Or the National Enquirer?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like this outing is one of payback for some recent things that former SEALS have done.

3. Boom_70

Again the ramifications are political. Really the story can't be discussed in full here so what's the point?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the guy gave way to much biographical information for his identity to not be easily discovered.

I mean, how many guys on the raid grew up in Alaska?

If he truly wanted to remain anonymous, he would have left out the biographical info.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Is a pseudonym always newsworthy? Is this one? Would this one have been more important to protect than say, Joe Klein's 'Anonymous?'

Do you think the media, in this case Fox, "pursued" this author's name?

Or was it simply leaked to them by one of his angry former SEAL colleagues?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Was Joe Klein protected? I recall a lot of wondering about who wrote it but that nobody could come up with a name.

So if they pursued it or it was leaked, I am not sure how it matters.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it matters how they obtained it.

Klein's book was the one I thought of. How was he eventually outed? Did he do it himself? Did people realize he was the author and keep it hush-hush? Still, not really fair to hold this particular reporter and news outlet to those standards, if those standards were wrongly exercised.

I think his identity is extremely newsworthy. This is a first-person account, allegedly the definitive account, of one of the touchstone events of this century to this point. Certainly of this presidential administration. And certainly of the so-called war on terror. His identity is newsworthy for the same reason that the identity of any source is newsworthy. Who is he? What's his angle? How trustworthy is he?

8. Boom_70

I think it was leaked by someone wanting to create a contradiction and balance out the ledger. Choosing Fox was the perfect outlet.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They said on the news this morning that all of the proceeds from the book would go to the families of SEALS who were killed in action.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet that this is a really important story that will have significant long-term repercussions.*

*Mealy-mouthed way of saying, I'm glad I don't live within 1,000 miles of this guy.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

His co-author is trustworthy, and well-known.

Does that change anything?

12. Boom_70

But are they lucid and conversational?

Draft saved Draft deleted